What happened to my gas mileage??

Sny714

Established Member
I first bought this cobra last april with 95% of the mods listed in the sig. If I remember correctly, I was getting probably around 220-230 miles to a tank. It seems that the past 2-3 months have been a steady decline. Slowly, I would only get 200 to a tank then 185-190 and now today I managed to get 171 miles to a tank!! Thats around 12mpg. This is getting ridiculous and especially at $3.50 a gallon. My job is 3 miles away and its all streets, no highway, so Im sure that doesnt help it. My driving habits pretty much stayed the same from when I bought the car, in fact I might even drive easier now. So what gives?

Dont get me wrong, I didnt buy the cobra to get 27mpg, but its weird how this seemed to happen with my notchback to. With the notch there was a steady decline in mpg over time. BTW, the car has 10-15k on the motor and 47k on drivetrain. Does the fuel filter need to be changed? I changed my FF on the notch and it slighly made things better but not much.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Dont know the weather round there but doesnt cold short drives result in low mpgs

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Like Jon said, weather is my first thought. When the temps dip, gas mileage goes to crap.... especially on short trips like you are describing.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
My gas mileage dropped to shit with the cold weather. I drive a mile each way to work so my car barely warms up.

I would get almost 250 a tank now its down to 180-190 with the highs being in the 30's.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
i used to get about 175 miles a tank in the summer filling at the 1/4 mark. now im at the 115-130 mark. I do 90% city driving. Today i got to 171 but i took a trip into philly which was all highway. Also i believe the oil companies put different additives in the gas come winter time as well.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
3 miles to work? Ride a freakin' bike! But seriously, when you fill up, fill up ALL the way. If gas spills out, the gromet that goes around the filler neck and into the tank may have failed. It happened to me, so every time I took a hard corner, it spilled out. Plus, as you are parked, it is evaporating out. It's kinda a pain to swap out, cause you have to drop the tank. If that's it, I'll look up the part number for you. Though, I think it might have changed. It's about $20. Check your air filter and your fuel filter. Look for any other fuel leaks too.

Sny714

Established Member
Yea i heard about the additives before but I didnt think it would be this bad. Plus my car is warmed up every morning for about 10 minutes before I go to work, so the car is never driven in the cold without running at normal temp.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
You bought a V8

l_53c3f73c7ffa8cfcd4cf0802a32e235d.gif

You funny guy, you...

01 Venom

Established Member
I am gonna go with the cold theory myself, the car takes a really long time to heat up in weather like this. Winter fuel might have something to do with it.

Few quick and easy things
1) clean your air filter
2) Change the fuel filter (never hurts)
3) Tune up, new plugs

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Yea i heard about the additives before but I didnt think it would be this bad. Plus my car is warmed up every morning for about 10 minutes before I go to work, so the car is never driven in the cold without running at normal temp.

well, idling your car for 10 minutes certainly isn't going to help your gas mileage. At idle, you are getting 0 mpg.

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
It's just the cold weather it happens to every car, my work is pretty close and even in my SVO gas mileage has decreased alot. The car will spend much more time in open loop with it being cold out and running richer. Plus as mentioned a lot more idle time as your warming up the car etc.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
My job is 3 miles away and its all streets, no highway, so Im sure that doesnt help it. My driving habits pretty much stayed the same from when I bought the car, in fact I might even drive easier now.
Maybe it's due to a buildup of carbon. Put it on a dyno for a few runs and I'll bet the ground behind your tailpipes will be coated black. These engines need to be driven hard from time to time to "blow out the cobwebs". I'm sure that winter gas isn't helping in that area either. You could also pull, clean and regap your plugs.

A tune might also help (didn't see it in your sig).

Users who are viewing this thread