What Goes Wrong????? Low Dyno Numbers....

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
Okay so I got my car dynod yesterday, and I am very worried (or upset). Well my car has 94000 miles, but it drives great. I have never had any problems with the car (it doesn’t get abused) and it gets good gas mileage 17/22. My car has BBK headers, BBK x-pipe, SLP loudmouth exhaust, BBK CAI, new spark plugs, new spark plug wires, new coil packs, and a new fuel filter. Aside from that, I just put in the 10.5 to 11inch clutch upgrade and built the rear end with 4.10’s in. All this and my car dynod at :xpl: 261hp/262tq. My Tuner couldn’t find out what was wrong with the car but he said “there’s definitely something wrong with it”. The air/fuel mixture was good but that’s the best we got out of 4 pulls.

So where would you go from here?

My initial plans were to blow the car (wanted to spend about $5,000 for the blower install) in 2 to 3 months, but know I am unsure. My Tuner said to build a “good” motor he could do it for about $7,000:cuss: out the door (not what I had in mind).

1996_Snake

Built and Blown
Established Member
Well i cant help you out with what is wrong with you rcar, but i just spent 4000.00 (CAD) to rebuild my engine. that is with good parts(manley, diamond, speed pro, and so on)
Now i got a pretty good deal on machining, but i imagine you should still be able to get it done for 4000.00 USD...7000.00 better include a blower....

Iceman12

Established Member
I feel your pain man, did my dyno this morning, as many mods as u minus the headers and got about 260 hp/ trq. My car's problem seems to be the IMRC's, my control moduale seems to be bad and messes with the timeing bad, so my tuner turned its timeing abilities off. I need to clean out my IMRC's nd replace the modulae before I can go back and hope for a lil more power.

Good luck to you in finding your problem.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
Iceman12 said:
I need to clean out my IMRC's nd replace the modulae before I can go back and hope for a lil more power.

Good luck to you in finding your problem.

So how do you clean the IMRC's? I think that might be the problem.

Iceman12 said:
I feel your pain man, did my dyno this morning, as many mods as u minus the headers and got about 260 hp/ trq.

With the price of the headers and the price of the installation I was wanting way more then 260. :bash:

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
1996_Snake said:
Well i cant help you out with what is wrong with you rcar, but i just spent 4000.00 (CAD) to rebuild my engine. that is with good parts(manley, diamond, speed pro, and so on)
Now i got a pretty good deal on machining, but i imagine you should still be able to get it done for 4000.00 USD...7000.00 better include a blower....

Who's doing your install. The $7,000 includes R&R and the work:??:

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
scuzzdude2587 said:
what plugs are you using, and what did you graph look like?

NGK, I just put them in. air/fuel was at 12.5

Last edited:

scuzzdude2587

Established Member
What gap? And was your graph all spikey or was it a smooth curve? (I doubt I can diagnose your problem, just trying to get more info out there for the smarter guys)

LaserRedSnake

LTHLBITE
Established Member
My car w/ the same mods as yours put down 293/287 untuned! It could be your IMRC controller, or something IMRC related, a gummed up o2 sensor, etc.

Last edited:

1996_Snake

Built and Blown
Established Member
BMF42 said:
Who's doing your install. The $7,000 includes R&R and the work:??:
the work has been done, and it was done by a shop up here in canada.
i took them teh engine out of the car..so that mightof saved some more cash.
i bought 90% of the parts myself from another mustang shop up here as well.
the mustang shop out of Calgary.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
LaserRedSnake said:
How many miles are on the car?

scuzzdude2587 said:
What gap? And was your graph all spikey or was it a smooth curve? (I doubt I can diagnose your problem, just trying to get more info out there for the smarter guys)

I did a search here the other day for the gap and I went with that it was a thread about getting your car ready for the track. Don't quote my but I think it was .56

It was a smooth curve.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
LaserRedSnake said:
My car w/ the same mods as yours put down 293/287 untuned! It could be your IMRC controller, or something IMRC related, a gummed up o2 sensor, etc.

He (the tuner) said the O2 sensors looked new. I was going to buy new ones but he said they were good to go.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
scuzzdude2587 said:
I would check the IMRCs first...but meh, just sell it and put all the money into the ZO6 :burnout:

I really don't want to get rid of the cobra though. My Z06 is fast without needing mods. I have been wanting to drive a 12 second cobra. I am thinking all I need is my blower, and IMRC cleaning. I am going to do the cleaning, but I just don't want to faqk anything up. I am thinking of doing the seafoam thing first. Thanks for the info :beer:

blwn03sonic

venomous motorsports
Established Member
when i got my cobra tuned my numbers were 276.67hp 270.66tq and rick from amazon said that was normal for my mods and the miles, 84,000 .. should i have excepted more?

1996_Snake

Built and Blown
Established Member
BMF42 said:
I really don't want to get rid of the cobra though. My Z06 is fast without needing mods. I have been wanting to drive a 12 second cobra. I am thinking all I need is my blower, and IMRC cleaning. I am going to do the cleaning, but I just don't want to faqk anything up. I am thinking of doing the seafoam thing first. Thanks for the info :beer:
it is not hard to take these cars apart.
things only go back together ONE way.
if you have to take pictures...take yoru time and have fun exploring these fun MOD motors!:beer:

crystal_SVT

Established Member
ya ill bet every dollar i have another IMRC problem...... fords biggest design flaw! u should see 280+ when u get all the bugs worked out.

Users who are viewing this thread