what gears for 22s?

20psirabbit

Established Member
i just picked up a lightning-swapped 99 f-150. it's extra cab with the small doors that swing open in the rear, i'm not sure what the technical name for that cab is :) anyway it's got some 22s on it and it looks good, but i feel like i need to step up the gearing some, as it wants to do 70 on the freeway way under 2,000 rpm, and it's hard to drive around town without getting into boost as it's all load and no gear. as far as i can tell, the rear end has a 3.55 set in it now, and the tires stand right around 31 1/4- 31 1/2" high.
i was thinking a 4.10 should do it, but a shop that's going to have their hands on it was saying they'd recommend a 3.73 because 4.10s might be too buzzy. what do you guys think? anyone with a geared 22'd lightning or hd truck?
thanks guys :)

Last edited:

WhiteFoxGT

Resident Ford Tech
Established Member
well stock for 01+ was 3.73, and tossing larger wheels on there will make it basically seem like 3.55s or somewhat lower. (not getting too technical). I'd say 4.10s would make it almost like a stock L on 3.73s.

Does it have the 4r100 behind it as well?

rvm

Established Member
I have a 00 Lightning with the 3.55 ratio, running on 22's, and basically have the same experience. It would be interesting to find out how it would drive with 4.11s

Users who are viewing this thread