what gaskets do I need?

whiteboyz79

I'll be your Huckleberry
Established Member
I'm about to pull the heads off my Terminator and replace the gaskets. Besides the obvious head gaskets, and lower intake to head gasket, are there any other gaskets I need to do this job? I'd rather tear this down and have the parts on hand instead of physically doing the job, seeing other gaskets I might need, then having to order them and wait. Also, I'm looking for a decent manual for our cars and have yet to find one. I mean the good manuals like the Ford tech manuals, not the Clymer or Haines crap ones. Any ideas? Thanks guys.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Theres a manual on this forum.
but more importantly if I where you,
I would be putiing on a head cooling mod,
and maybe even redoing my spark plugs threads,
or just buy a revised head, but that's just me.

MrRob96fs

U like them spinnin tires
Established Member
From what I've seen you need to yank the engine to take the heads off these cars. Maybe I am wrong. :shrug: I would be interested to get my hands on that manual as well.

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
Theres a manual on this forum.
but more importantly if I where you,
I would be putiing on a head cooling mod,
and maybe even redoing my spark plugs threads,
or just buy a revised head, but that's just me.

Where's the manual?

whiteboyz79

I'll be your Huckleberry
Established Member
Well, I have all the tools and a lift at my disposal so I planned on pulling the motor anyway. I'm going to try and burp this thing one more time before I do a leak down test, and eventually tear the heads off. Where is this online manual? I would rather have a hard copy but beggers can't be choosers

heytonyman

build-break-repeat
Established Member
You will need new headbolts as the factory ones are not reusable. As a measure of insurance I would suggest ARP Headstuds.

You will need some sealer for use on the timing cover as well. You can use the factory sealant but I would suggest some Toyota Black FIPG sealant. It can be found at any Lexus/Toyota dealer and is far superior to Ford sealant in my experiences.

+1 on the cooling mod. Even tho it didn't save my motor in the long run I am certain that it helped knowing all the boost that she seen in her 23K miles.

I have reused intake gaskets and valvecover gaskets and not had any problems. As long as your mileage is low (under 30K) I would not hesitate to reuse them.

Notice any ticking or slapping noises on cold start at a certain RPM? Again depending on your mileage, it may not be a bad idea to replace the timing chain guides and tensioners.

Definately drop the engine out the bottom... K Member and all in one piece. You and a buddy with a lift and air-tools can have the motor on the ground in just a couple hours. Find yourself a good factory service manual (you can find them on eBay) and you'll be fine.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Tony P.

Last edited:

whiteboyz79

I'll be your Huckleberry
Established Member
Yes sir. Already have the ARP studs ready to go. My car has about 40K miles so I'm slightly leary of reusing the stock intake gaskets, however I did consider reusing them as a possibility. I do have an ever so slight tick during normal operation. I attribute that to the crappy valve guides and other components Ford used in these heads.

I'm still going to try and burp this bad boy a few more times before I break down and tear her apart, but the only other reason I'm even willing to tear into the top end is because I have a slew of other parts that will be much much easier to install with the engine out (clutch, headers, etc.)

I have looked on ebay for a technical manual but to my disappointment have only found a CD-ROM that claims to be the manual. I just don't want to be messing up my laptop with garbage and grease if I need to reference a torque spec or something in the middle of my build. I wanted the big thick book that Ford uses on all it's other models.

Users who are viewing this thread