What gains from E85 on 96 cobra N/A are expected ???

brgrenier

Established Member
Is it worth doing on a N/A 96' Cobra. and what HP gains would I expect with a aggressive tune on the dyno ???

thanks

bottlefed91fox

TUFF
Established Member
im not seeing TOO much of a gain. E85 is usually for boosted cars from what i've seen, due to its a colder fuel? not entirely sure myself tho. good question.

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
Is it worth doing on a N/A 96' Cobra. and what HP gains would I expect with a aggressive tune on the dyno ???

thanks

Should be minimal gains if not none however, the potential is vast!
Higher compression could be used giving you more HP.
You could add more timing without risking early detonation.
Pretty much anything you can think of that runs the risk of pre-detonation now will be possible.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
i'd guess somewhere in the 10-20rwhp range. i know it won't be quite as big of a gain, but the 2011 GT at HPP picked up quite a bit with going to e85.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
Should be minimal gains if not none however, the potential is vast!
Higher compression could be used giving you more HP.
You could add more timing without risking early detonation.
Pretty much anything you can think of that runs the risk of pre-detonation now will be possible.

i'd guess somewhere in the 10-20rwhp range. i know it won't be quite as big of a gain, but the 2011 GT at HPP picked up quite a bit with going to e85.

What these guys said, there's not much benefit on an n/a un-tuned car beyond the fact that it's a little cheaper at the pump than 93 but that will just off-set the fact that you'll get slightly less mpg. I've been running it in my '01 for about a year now on a 93 XCal2 tune and I can't say that I noticed any great gains other than it smells better than gasoline going in and coming out. :lol1:

The potential is all in the tuning as has been stated. Even on a n/a car you can experiment w/ turning up the timing and will see some gains there beyond what you could do w/ 93. I am planning to run N20 myself this year and since I don't see that many people over here going that route I figure I'll be something of a guinea pig.

One other benefit that you could see w/ E85 even on an N/A car would be that you could pretty much run it w/o cats an probably still pass an emissions test if you live in that kind of state! :thumbsup:

boostftw05

Established Member
If doing a full dyno/street tune for E-85 (running more timing, etc) should get you some decent gains, not sure if it would be worth having to upgrade the fuel system, E-85 runs leaner so it takes more fuel to still burn at the same Stoch. as Gas. might find it easyer to do a small shot nitrous. (being that the car is N/A)

brgrenier

Established Member
Well my car has BBK L/T's, CAI , pullies, 4:10's , the last time I had it on the dyno at HP Performance in Jacksonville FL it pulled 281 RWHP. Not that great. I would like to break the 300hp mark. I want to go NOS but I want the power there all the time N/A . So I was thinking E85...I dont want to upgrade my fuel system and run E85 and only gain 10 HP.....decisions, decisions what to do!!!!

REX-RACER

Established Member
Well my car has BBK L/T's, CAI , pullies, 4:10's , the last time I had it on the dyno at HP Performance in Jacksonville FL it pulled 281 RWHP. Not that great. I would like to break the 300hp mark. I want to go NOS but I want the power there all the time N/A . So I was thinking E85...I dont want to upgrade my fuel system and run E85 and only gain 10 HP.....decisions, decisions what to do!!!!

I read an article in one of the two Mustang rags that said that saw a 9 hp gain on an S197 3v w/ just E85 alone an no tuning presumably due to the cooling effects of E85. So here's an idea you could try:

1. Fill up w/ a tank of E85 and get on the dyno just to see where that puts you. It may be something, it may be nothing.

2. While your on the dyno have the tuner look at where your at in terms of capacity of your stock fuel system, i.e; how far could you grow on your current set up.

3. See what gains you could get just by manipulating the timing.

4. Use the above info to plan for any type fuel system upgrades and NOS going forward.

Teej281

Established Member
Soon going to go e85 on my 02 GT and we'll see how it goes. Not expecting anything ground breaking but expecting to see 15rwhp or more hopefully.

pacific4v

Established Member
I've been curious about the gains on a n/a motor too. What about with 10.5-11:1 cr? Could you use it with nitrous? I bet with being able to run more timing it'd make good power on nitrous, but the jetting may be tricky.

JGIPSON

Established Member
Power

Andy At Dyno Tuned Performance in South Dakota converted a stock, 03 mach 1 to E85 and he pulled 40rwhp an 30rwtrq with just some fine tuning. It was in Muscle Mustangs a year or two ago.

brgrenier

Established Member
thanks...good article... I just might fill my tank with it and go to the dyno and see what the results are.

REX-RACER

Established Member
Search 5.0 Mustangs website for "Maize Mach" and you will find a bone stock 2004 Mach 1 that they tuned to run E85.

They may 28rwhp and 39rwtq and didnt hurt fuel economy.

Ahh what the hell, I will save you the time. :D

2004 Mustang Mach 1 E35 Mileage Test - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords

Definitely good info there! Three interesting things I also saw from the article that really weren't highlighted:

1. The test was done on STOCK fuel system which indicates the E85 was not a problem for the stock parts.

2. Gaining 30 hp on the stock fuel system alone would seem to indicate that w/ basic upgrades like a larger fuel pump and injectors even bigger gains could be seen on an otherwise stock n/a car.

3. The last table seems to show that they felt comfortable enough w/ the E85 to extend the rpm range out to 6300 w/o a huge drop off.

Users who are viewing this thread