What front tires to run? What are others running?

jdl1000

Established Member
Just curious what tires people are running on the skinnies? I'm trying to plan for trap speeds over 130mph but I don't see a tire (other than track tires) rated for this speed in the skinny sizes. I have a 15" set I need tires for the street and the track.

Thanks
Jason

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I would recommend that for trap speeds that you're looking at that you get a track only bias ply front skinny tire like a Mickey Thompson Et Front or a Hoosier Drag Front. They will give you more stability than a radial and will save you about 6-7 lbs per tire in weight. Running street tires in the front with the power you're putting out and with the weight of your car is just not going to be as safe as getting a designated track tire.

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
I would recommend that for trap speeds that you're looking at that you get a track only bias ply front skinny tire like a Mickey Thompson Et Front or a Hoosier Drag Front. They will give you more stability than a radial and will save you about 6-7 lbs per tire in weight. Running street tires in the front with the power you're putting out and with the weight of your car is just not going to be as safe as getting a designated track tire.

I agree with IronTerp in regards to having a dedicated track tire for the front at those speeds. Stability and durability are huge factors when trapping 130+.

I have had good luck with dedicated drag radial tires as well though. Not just an off the shelf street radial, but an M&H Radial racing tire.

The general convention is if you plan to run rear bias ply tires, put a bias ply on the front. If you plan to run drag radials in the rear, put a radial tire up front.

Best of luck!

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
OK, Im one that plays with fire sometimes.....for exaple the times in my sig were with absoluetly no safetey equipment but a helmet. I dont condone doing that, or think that it was O.K, but It was my DD at the time and I refused to put a cage and harness in it. Now it has all that shizz, but I don't drive it as often either.

I usually run 165/80/r15s (same as vw bug 165r/15s). Cheapie, no name shit like nankang, nexum....or whatever the local shop can get.

I drive them on the street constantly and front skinnies wear quickly weather they are street radials or dedicated drag tires. I know I SHOULD get a set strictly for the track, but I drive a 100 mile round trip there and back, and its already bad enough swapping to the slicks on the spot.

One thing about tire speed ratiings. Those ratings are for sustained speeds over XXX, or up to XXX. A 9, 10, 11, or 12 second burst to 140 or so, is not going to put that much heat in the tire.

Last edited:

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I used to run 185 versions....had one blow out on the street, and went for a ride, luckily saved the car. Oddly I was on the way to track on the interstate cruising at 65, and not 130+ in the shutdown area.

I played dumn at 1st, after having a blowout, nah.....

Im just getting a new slick and skinny combo, and I went with I thought was the best for street and track duty, they are speed rated, and load rated. They are a lil heavier than your average dedicated front runner, but oh well. The cost a lil more to

Mickey Thompson 6652 Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R Radial Tires

Im gonna be running mine with a 28x11.5x15 Hoosier Quicktime Pro

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member

I agree with IronTerp in regards to having a dedicated track tire for the front at those speeds. Stability and durability are huge factors when trapping 130+.

I have had good luck with dedicated drag radial tires as well though. Not just an off the shelf street radial, but an M&H Radial racing tire.

The general convention is if you plan to run rear bias ply tires, put a bias ply on the front. If you plan to run drag radials in the rear, put a radial tire up front.

Best of luck!

I agree. I run the Hoosier front runners.

TVS4.jpg

TVS5.jpg

Last edited:

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Hopefully me running the Sportsman SR radials up front wont cause an issue with Hooiser Quicktime DOT's out back (bias ply)

Im still not getting the huge concern between mixing the 2? If they are speed rated and load rated what is the issue. My footprint is the same vs a dedicated drag skinny to an extent.

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
Hopefully me running the Sportsman SR radials up front wont cause an issue with Hooiser Quicktime DOT's out back (bias ply)

Im still not getting the huge concern between mixing the 2? If they are speed rated and load rated what is the issue. My footprint is the same vs a dedicated drag skinny to an extent.

Mixing radials and bias ply tend to cause the car to sway more, which is more prominant at the big end of the track.

I noticed it being worst if you had large radial up front like a stock 17 and a bias ply in the rear. Swap to a skinny up front and the sway is MUCH less severe. Even with a skinny radial its much less severe. Maybe the elcheapo radials I run still give enough to react the same as a bias ply:shrug:

Once I get a truck and a trailer, I'll be switching to a dedicated drag skinny. until then, its the old 165's. I do make sure they are in very good condition.

Users who are viewing this thread