What friction modifier is best??

toomnymods

Established Member
I bought 3 quarts of Amsoil Max gear lubricant yesterday to use in my rear diff and was wondering what friction modifier where you guys having the best luck with?
Amsoil friction modifier

or

Ford Racing's Friction modifier

and how much did you add?

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
Well that would be hard to say. They're each outstanding in their own way.

You just add the little bottle. Despite the funky green color, frpp worked for me.

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
friction modifier makes the lube more slippery. Kind of an oxymoron.
The Ford stuff works fine. It use to be made from Whale oil. I don't know if it still is.

vortecd

Established Member
You want to use just enough so the clutches don't chatter when turning. Redline has fluid with it and with out it. I bought 3 quarts, 2 with and 1 with out which ends in NS for non slip.

Joey8

Established Member
I thought friction modifier wasn't 100% necessary unless you are getting alot of chatter. I didn't add any when I did a fluid swap to amsoil MTL. Should I add some friction modifier or is it not needed because I not hearing any chatter or whining...

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I bought 3 quarts of Amsoil Max gear lubricant yesterday to use in my rear diff and was wondering what friction modifier where you guys having the best luck with?
Amsoil friction modifier

or

Ford Racing's Friction modifier

and how much did you add?

Both are great. It's one of the few products Ford supplies that I really like. Using either, I prefer to use half the bottle or tube, then test. If no chatter is present, do not use the rest. If chatter is still present, use the rest.

I test by rolling the windows down in a parking lot, turning as tight as possible, very slow. Try this in both directions. You will hear the rear differential making noises if there isn't enough friction modifier.

Since I didn't have any Amsoil Slip Lock on hand for my last differential oil change, I had to buy Ford's XL-3. It worked like a champ with Red Line Heavy Shockproof gear oil. *Used it to assist with gear whine*

Last edited:

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
I soaked my disc's in the ford modifier for 2 days. Then when I changed the discs out, I set the pack to the thick side for more grip. Next to thickest shim. Then when I filled up I used the amsoil with additive. Works great. Solid black marks from both wheels.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Both are great. It's one of the few products Ford supplies that I really like. Using either, I prefer to use half the bottle or tube, then test. If no chatter is present, do not use the rest. If chatter is still present, use the rest.

I test by rolling the windows down in a parking lot, turning as tight as possible, very slow. Try this in both directions. You will hear the rear differential making noises if there isn't enough friction modifier.

Since I didn't have any Amsoil Slip Lock on hand for my last differential oil change, I had to buy Ford's XL-3. It worked like a champ with Red Line Heavy Shockproof gear oil. *Used it to assist with gear whine*

Blasphemy!! You didn't use Amsoil!!!! Shame on you lol!!

I used Amsoil on my last diff change when I installed my watts link.. Works awesome!

5lho

Established Member
these cars don't tend to chatter too much but, boy, does the lsd howl when it doesn't have enough mod in the fluid. On my old fox, I never ran it because it was just a little chirping around really tight turns. This car, you'd go batshit from the noise. Maybe it's just the carbon plate LSDs like I have.

Ford fish oil all the way; Cheap and effective.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Blasphemy!! You didn't use Amsoil!!!! Shame on you lol!!

I used Amsoil on my last diff change when I installed my watts link.. Works awesome!

RedLine Heavy Shockproof helps quiet noises gears. I used it in the GT500 as well.

these cars don't tend to chatter too much but, boy, does the lsd howl when it doesn't have enough mod in the fluid.

It sure does. Sounds like an improperly tuned horn instrument.

Users who are viewing this thread