What exhaust is one notch louder than stock?

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
I tried roush axle backs for a few months but they were too loud for me and too raspy at WOT. Is there a muffler that sounds like stock but just a bit louder?

I would do just an O/R x pipe, but none available for 2011-2012 stock exhaust.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
+1 on the lethal off road x-pipe. Cheap power mod, direct bolt-on, adds sound at idle/low rpms and at WOT it will wake the dead.

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
I did not think there was a drop in off road pipe for 2011+. Guess I was wrong. Does the tune need to be changed to delete the cats?

DaFreak

Established Member
Check out the Borla touring axle backs. Slightly louder than stock. I did them and a SW O/R X and it sounds great.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I did not think there was a drop in off road pipe for 2011+. Guess I was wrong. Does the tune need to be changed to delete the cats?

Yes, COTS and rear 02's need to be off to get the power out of it and so the check engine light isn't coming on.

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
Ok. So lethal xpipe is the best? About to order. Half the price of borla, more power, and don't have to worry about toasting cats with my WOT launch control.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Ok. So lethal xpipe is the best? About to order. Half the price of borla, more power, and don't have to worry about toasting cats with my WOT launch control.

Best value, yes, yes and yes. Many prefer the sound of the h-pipe but it's going to cost a lot more to go that route. They say the x is raspy but I only notice it on decel and it did with my h too just not as noticeable. The x is supposed to make a little more power, run cooler etc. but who knows. I like either set-up just wanted it louder.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I'm actually so used to the sound now I want it louder. Anybody know if there's a shorty header that will bolt up to this mid-pipe?

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
No really, I'm just having a local muffler shop cut the cats out of my stock H-pipe and weld in some straight pipe.
$50= O/R H-pipe.

But if you have to go back to stock (when you sell it), your SOL. Most shops won't cut cats out because it's illegal. Guess LA is different :)

Kenneth

Established Member
But if you have to go back to stock (when you sell it), your SOL. Most shops won't cut cats out because it's illegal. Guess LA is different :)

Plan on keeping the cats IF I sell the car I'll just go and have them welded back in.

NO sniffer or visual tests here, Hell they look out the window if they see a newer car they don't inspect anything, just scrape the old sticker off and put the new one on.

Last edited:

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
You will be louder with the OR pipe and stock mufflers. You may want to try that before spending more $$ on mufflers. The OR H pipe will produce a lower tone.

Users who are viewing this thread