What does your Boss intake sound like?

Ratchet

Established Member
So I installed my cleaned up/ported boss intake a couple weeks ago. Loaded my new 91 tune in from JPC for my Montana, Yellowstone road trip and headed out. Since then I have noticed a bit of a popping sound I guess is the best way to describe it. Not a detonating (I have been keeping my eye on the A/F when going WOT, it's sticking right around the 11.9 mark) sound I don't think. It's kind of a plastic sound. Maybe exhaust leak? The dealership did take my x pipe down when rebuilding trans... The car pulls real good and doesn't seem like anything it up with it. If it was detonating, it would be pulling timing and adjusting for this wouldn't it? Is that just the way the Boss intake sounds with the tone change in higher RPMS? Thanks in advance for your thoughts. :beer:

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
11.9 is pretty rich for N/A, but no have not heard a popping from any of my intakes ported or stock. Also, just cause its rich doesn't mean its not possible for it to be detonating. A rich mixture helps, but is not a fix to cure detonation.

Last edited:

Ratchet

Established Member
11.9 is pretty rich for N/A, but no have not heard a popping from any of my intakes ported or stock. Also, just cause its rich doesn't mean its not possible for it to be detonating. A rich mixture helps, but is not a fix to cure detonation.

Well, on my last datalogs my timing seems to peak out at 23.5-24 degrees. So that is on the safe side to.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member

"pretty rich" is relative. These cars like the fuel. They respond well when there is plenty of it to be had.

Factory tune commands .82 lambda in the mid range and then .83-.84 up top. That translates to 11.5, 11.7, and 11.8. "Rich" by traditional standard for an n/a motor but coyote is a special beast.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
So I installed my cleaned up/ported boss intake a couple weeks ago. Loaded my new 91 tune in from JPC for my Montana, Yellowstone road trip and headed out. Since then I have noticed a bit of a popping sound I guess is the best way to describe it. Not a detonating (I have been keeping my eye on the A/F when going WOT, it's sticking right around the 11.9 mark) sound I don't think. It's kind of a plastic sound. Maybe exhaust leak? The dealership did take my x pipe down when rebuilding trans... The car pulls real good and doesn't seem like anything it up with it. If it was detonating, it would be pulling timing and adjusting for this wouldn't it? Is that just the way the Boss intake sounds with the tone change in higher RPMS? Thanks in advance for your thoughts. :beer:

Did you remove fingers on the mouth of the intake?

Ratchet

Established Member
Did you remove fingers on the mouth of the intake?

This is what I did compared to an untouched one. Just removed the ridge and smoothed things out. The ridges at the sides weren't touched that much.

null_zps59e25f67.jpg

null_zps856aa0ef.jpg

Ratchet

Established Member
Hmm does the sound go away when motor is warm?

I'm never gunning it when the motor is cold. Only does it at higher rpms under load. Doesn't have to be wot either... still makes it if I'm half throttle over 4500-5000 rpm. That kinda takes detonating out of the picture. :shrug:

01bluesnake

Established Member
"pretty rich" is relative. These cars like the fuel. They respond well when there is plenty of it to be had.

Factory tune commands .82 lambda in the mid range and then .83-.84 up top. That translates to 11.5, 11.7, and 11.8. "Rich" by traditional standard for an n/a motor but coyote is a special beast.

Definitely rich from a traditional standard where 12.8-13 use to be ideal. From the factory tune these cars are rich for extra safety measures because they are able to run on crap fuel 87 and don't want people destroying the motors with the higher compression. As i said earlier, a rich mixture will help against knock which is why they command a richer A/F mixture as well. Mine runs about 12.4-12.5 @ wot and loves it.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I'm never gunning it when the motor is cold. Only does it at higher rpms under load. Doesn't have to be wot either... still makes it if I'm half throttle over 4500-5000 rpm. That kinda takes detonating out of the picture. :shrug:

It could still be detonating. Detonation can happen at any part of the RPM band and under moderate load when timing is too high for the fuel octane to support it.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Op do you have the stock mufflers on? I think I know what you are talking about and it sou ds exactly like detonation. Its how my car sounded for a really long time with an off-road x and stock mufflers. Even with the blower it had that sound past 3500rpm.

Ratchet

Established Member
It could still be detonating. Detonation can happen at any part of the RPM band and under moderate load when timing is too high for the fuel octane to support it.
I'm pretty sure that my timing is right around what is being commanded, being that I asked my tuner about this before. But just to be sure I have a message in to him regarding this. They said they keep timing lowish and build power thru other means. And being that hey have some of the fastest cars, stick and auto out there I just took their word for it!! Besides the car feels pretty damn good...
Op do you have the stock mufflers on? I think I know what you are talking about and it sou ds exactly like detonation. Its how my car sounded for a really long time with an off-road x and stock mufflers. Even with the blower it had that sound past 3500rpm.
I have 13 GT500 axleback. Did have my 3" magna flow x pipe on there. Maybe it was just to loud at the point to hear this? lol

Squamishcoyote

Wheel Hoppin
Established Member
I'm pretty sure that my timing is right around what is being commanded, being that I asked my tuner about this before. But just to be sure I have a message in to him regarding this. They said they keep timing lowish and build power thru other means. And being that hey have some of the fastest cars, stick and auto out there I just took their word for it!! Besides the car feels pretty damn good...

I have 13 GT500 axleback. Did have my 3" magna flow x pipe on there. Maybe it was just to loud at the point to hear this? lol

Told you to bring the x-pipe when we did everything else, but NOOOO, it didn't fit

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Definitely rich from a traditional standard where 12.8-13 use to be ideal. From the factory tune these cars are rich for extra safety measures because they are able to run on crap fuel 87 and don't want people destroying the motors with the higher compression. As i said earlier, a rich mixture will help against knock which is why they command a richer A/F mixture as well. Mine runs about 12.4-12.5 @ wot and loves it.

Mine lost 10whp when we leaned it out to .85 lambda and I certainly wasn't willing to run it at .88 lambda like yours is commanding, especially given the history of these motors. My car runs best at .82-.83 n/a so that's where I keep it. Every motor is different though.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
never noticed much intake noise on my boss. Wish I could help ya bud. Hope ya get whatever it is figured out soon.

SCalla1384

Established Member

My tunes right at 11.5-11.6 at WOT. That's how Shaun tunes it, and it runs great. I think I've seen people having better luck with these cars tuned more on the rich side. Plus, the 11:1 compression, you want to keep it cooler with a richer mixture.

OP, if I had to guess, I'd say an exhaust leak. Since the dealer had to drop it for the trans.

Users who are viewing this thread