What does this sound like?

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
Ok the past few weeks when I get up to go to work my car starts up fine. Then when I get out on the road it really bogs down bad in first and second. It continues to do so until it gets good and warm. It sounds pretty bad cause when I push on the gas it has a hard time coming out of it. Anyone have any ideas? Does something need cleaning? My car has about 13,500 mi. Any info would be great.

Thanks,
JR

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
are you starting it and just immediately driving off. if so my gt used to do the same. now i do not drive anywhere in the morning until after the car has warmed for a few minutes.

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
I let it run for a few minutes to get the oil flowing but I am not waiting for it to warm up completely. I feel like I shouldn't have to do that. And it didnt start this until recently and I haven't changed a thing.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
You might try the fuel filter. Some have gotten clogged as early as 10,000 miles or less.

Kind of cheap insurance.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by bluevilevo8
It's not the filter if it goes away as it warms up.

It could be... perhaps the sediment starts to move around a bit as he drives and allows a bit more fuel to pass through...

You never know.

Let's review the 3 Fs neccessary for power in a gasoline engine:

1. Fuel
2. Fire
3. ***en compression

We can rule number 3 out if warm up helps at all. The engine obviously has compression.

Number 2. Spark plugs probably aren't the issue because they are constant warm or cold. If problems exist here it would most likely stay around during low RPM even warm. However, if the fuel filter didn't help this would be my next move. Pull and examine the plugs.

That's what leads me to suspect 1. Now, 1 entails fuel pumps, rails, injectors, sensors, and then the simplest cheapest part: The fuel filter.

As any good mechanic will tell you, start with the simplest, cheapest things first.

That's where I'd start. :)

Last edited:

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
Yeah I just put in a new set of TR6's yesterday. Do our IAC get gummed up like SOHC? I don't know if it would have anything to do with it bogging or not but I do remember how nasty my 00GT got.

Advance has Purolator and Motorcraft
AutoZone has DEUTCH

Purolator Pure One is a dang good oil filter so I will try them.

Now I heard that these can't be changed without special tool and lift. Is this correct? What would I need to know before I change it if I can?

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
You don't need a lift, but you will have to jack the car up.

You do need a special tool called a fuel line disconnect tool, but they are really cheap and Autozone or places like that will have them.

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
Cool I am hoping maybe the Rhino ramps will work? Got the purolator time for the tool. Thanks guys.

JR

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
As long as the rear is high enough for you to get under and reach up in between the IRS it'll work.

97snaketrplB

Hmmm. I've been giving this a lot of though, and I just can't see it being the fuel filter. Even if the sediment was loosening up, chances are you would still feel hesitations under wot in the upper rpm range while warm. I would have bet my life your cats were clogged, but then I saw your mods. My next thought would be a mild vacuum leak, but you said it idles fine. Reset the ecu and see where that leaves you.

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
My cats could be pooping on me they are Bassani. It raining like crazy here so I can pull it out and up on ramps. It has been reset several times in the past few days for HID install and plugs. And this was going before then.

Last edited:

97snaketrplB

Originally posted by Johnny Random
My cats could be pooping on me they are Bassani. It raining like crazy here so I can pull it out and up on ramps. It has been reset several times in the past few days for HID install and plugs. And this was going before them.

Ah, I thought you were catless. In that case, I'm almost sure that's the problem.

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
Got it changed out last night after taking a gas bath under the back of my car. They have to put parts like that in PITA locations.

Drove it this morning and it did seem much better! I think it just might have been the filter. I will see how it goes for the next couple of days and let you know. Cats should be coming off in the next couple of weeks too.

Thanks for all the help guys.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by Johnny Random
Got it changed out last night after taking a gas bath under the back of my car. They have to put parts like that in PITA locations.

Drove it this morning and it did seem much better! I think it just might have been the filter.

Thanks for all the help guys.

That's great news. Glad to hear it!

Users who are viewing this thread