What does it take for a Turbo '03?

Silver03Termi

Established Member
Mods in sig. Maybe thinking about taking off the 2.3 and going with a single kit. What kinds of costs am I looking at incurring? I already have a decent fuel system. What are some of the hidden costs of going turbo? Thanks guys.

Alb Cobra

Established Member
Going turbo is not cheap....if you shop around you can probably get all the 01 components for about 500$ or so. The least expensive way would be to sell all your sc components to try and close the gap. It will still cost you about 1-2 k more to turbo your car in stead of upgrading to a bigger blower depending on how patient you are on getting rid of your stuff.

Wildcard

Established Member
Mods in sig. Maybe thinking about taking off the 2.3 and going with a single kit. What kinds of costs am I looking at incurring? I already have a decent fuel system. What are some of the hidden costs of going turbo? Thanks guys.

Your fuel system is fine, so the question is kit or custom? Which one is cheaper depends on your or your shops capabilities, equipment you have on hand, availability of a welder, and eagerness to study turbo design and science. If the answer to those questions is low then going with an off the shelf kit will be a cheaper and better option. If the answer to those question is high then you can consider a custom kit; however, even in a custom kit, cost can rise if you make too many mistakes- in material cost, welding cost, and redesign. And every custom kit will need redesigning in some form or fashion, expect it and plan for it when you build your kit.

Use good/quality parts the first time. You will thank yourself later. Don't go the "cheap and cheerful" (Jermey Clarkson) way just because of cost. Remember if you get your power adder wrong, you are chancing your motor, so do it right the first time.

And if you are not installing yourself factor in shop labor cost which can rise past your budget if you are not careful.

Last edited:

RussZTT

Established Member
if you can do most of it yourself you will save a bunch i have 6.2k in my front suspension and turbo kit
Exactly, I did mine myself and some piping help from Jon and it saved me a good amount. Plus I got my turbo kit with less than 1K miles on it.

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
I probably have around $8k into my turbo kit, but I was able to offset it with alot of my stock parts being sold.

Its not cheap, its not a fast project, and its definitely something that YOU need to research and not just post a general question in a forum section.

Ill help you out by posting this link, dont tell anyone I posted it for you cause I dont want to get flamed for helping a new guy out. I would suggest you use it to your advantage.

All your turbo info can be answered here.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
I probably have around $8k into my turbo kit, but I was able to offset it with alot of my stock parts being sold.

Its not cheap, its not a fast project, and its definitely something that YOU need to research and not just post a general question in a forum section.

Ill help you out by posting this link, dont tell anyone I posted it for you cause I dont want to get flamed for helping a new guy out. I would suggest you use it to your advantage.

All your turbo info can be answered here.

not a new guy. been around for a while. i know how to use the search box. smart a$$.

Last edited:

prostkr

Established Member
13287.50$ is a pretty good guess. You easily have 3500 in parts to sell. So approx 10k out of pocket is real close.

Your going to need a complete k member kit
fuel upgrades. depending on how far you want to push it? You have a decent start.
you need the 01 conversion parts.
turbo kit. 6k new possible savings if you find a deal on a used one.
You will need a different cat back. flowmasters are not a good turbo car choice.

10k is a good safe fair budget.

nast97

Gear Banger
Established Member
I'd say I have close to $10k in mine and all the labor was done by my buddy and myself. Its all the little shit that will get you. I mean I have around $1200 in just braided line and fittings. Not to mention $500 or more in just piping. Hell I bought a 4" 90* steel elbow last night and was $40. So cost will vary especially if the labor is done by a shop. I would guess 10-15k

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Wildcard

Established Member
I'd say I have close to $10k in mine and all the labor was done by my buddy and myself. Its all the little shit that will get you. I mean I have around $1200 in just braided line and fittings. Not to mention $500 or more in just piping. Hell I bought a 4" 90* steel elbow last night and was $40. So cost will vary especially if the labor is done by a shop. I would guess 10-15k

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

$1200 for hoses, wow! Here is a place you need to go in the future if you need braided hoses. G&J aircraft index

And for tubing check out Performance Tube Bending, or PTB http://www.ptbtubebending.com/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread