What does a repaint do to the value?

WIRELESS

Were all crazy here....
Established Member
I am curious to see what the concensus feels about a Fox being repainted (factory correct color) in relation to the valuation of the car. I have been searching for another Fox for a while and have seen more than a few with new paint. If the job is as good or better than it left the factory and all of the VIN tags are still present has the car lost any value? Worth more? Let me hear your .02

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
If it is a quality paint job, it probably won't do much to the value, as long as it is not masking damage. You see cars go in auction all of the time that have been repainted that still sell for nearly as much as cars that have the original paint. Especially a car in the class of a mustang.

-Jeff

svtdriven

Established Member
I am in and out of bodyshops all the time. I have seen good and bad paintwork. I've seen a repainted area look better than the factory original paint. As stated above, as long as the paint isn't over bondo and wrecked panels, and the paint looked good (no runs, fish eyes, or a lot of dirt) I wouldn't worry about it.

but for the record, factory paint in almost all cases is a lot stronger than a repaint. manufacturers bake the paint at around 450 degrees, and a bodyshop can only do, I think, 300-350.

I am going to have mine repainted at some point, and I am going to request that they use the flex agent in it. it is mostly used by good bodyshops when they repaint plastic bumpers to keep them from cracking. Lexus now uses it on the entire car. I am told it keeps the paint from chipping as bad from rocks, bugs, and road debris. cheap bodyshops, or maaco don't use any of that, and they don't even use any clear coat. thats how they can offer it at such a low price. it'll get a ton of chips, and fade big time after about a year or so to the point where it looks like primer.

if you are buying the car as an investment, I would hold out for original paint. if you are going to drive it, I'd consider it.

Last edited:

Kevins89notch

Established Member
svtdriven said:
if you are buying the car as an investment, I would hold out for original paint. if you are going to drive it, I'd consider it.

Yup. When I get my hands on a teal 93, I won't be exactly buying it for an investiment(but rather that its my dream car) but I wouldn't even consider a car with a paint job.

comprepsvo

Established Member
I have a red 93 that has 170k miles on it. It was my daily driver. It is being completed stripped, sanded, dents fixed and painted the original factory red color. It will have a forged 331 with vortech, roll bar, long tubes, T 56, tubular K member, and coil overs. It will be my dream car. It will look completely stock going down the road. The factory paint had orange peel, was loosing it's clear coat. So for me I the paint to be better than new. I didn't buy this car to sit in the garage. I bought it to enjoy. Just as in every car decision, it all depends on what you want. Some enthusiast's like garage queen, some like to drive them on pretty weekends, some make them daily drivers, some race them every weekend. It is a matter of what floats your boat, and thank goodness there are enough out there for all of us to enjoy and do what we want to. Just my two cents.

WIRELESS

Were all crazy here....
Established Member
Thanks guys. I am buying this to drive but it still has to look good for me to enjoy it. I will be checking it with a paint meter and magnet for sure before I purchase it.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
Man, Just Enjoy The Car, If You Buy A 20k Or Less Car Than Keep It Under The Cage. Over That In Milege Just Ejoyt It From Time To Time

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member
svtdriven said:
I am in and out of bodyshops all the time. I have seen good and bad paintwork. I've seen a repainted area look better than the factory original paint. As stated above, as long as the paint isn't over bondo and wrecked panels, and the paint looked good (no runs, fish eyes, or a lot of dirt) I wouldn't worry about it.

but for the record, factory paint in almost all cases is a lot stronger than a repaint. manufacturers bake the paint at around 450 degrees, and a bodyshop can only do, I think, 300-350.

I am going to have mine repainted at some point, and I am going to request that they use the flex agent in it. it is mostly used by good bodyshops when they repaint plastic bumpers to keep them from cracking. Lexus now uses it on the entire car. I am told it keeps the paint from chipping as bad from rocks, bugs, and road debris. cheap bodyshops, or maaco don't use any of that, and they don't even use any clear coat. thats how they can offer it at such a low price. it'll get a ton of chips, and fade big time after about a year or so to the point where it looks like primer.

Factory paint is not stronger than a quality paint job done by a certified tech.
I have seen and repaired so many brand new cars and trucks due to paint defects. When I refinish a car, it is warrantied for a lifetime, can automakers match that? You are correct that the flex additive will help prevent cracking but won't help much from a rock at 70 mph.
:beer:

red93cobra

Banned
A high quality paint job shouldn't negatively affect the value on a higher mileage 93. On a low mile one(60k or less), I would question why it would need paint if properly cared for. I had one cobra(black) painted completely(75k miles), and another(red) just the front fenders and hood redone to get rid of rock chips and some bumper fade(on a 130k mile car). When I had these done, I took extensive photos of the car before, during, and after the job to prove there was no hidden damage. Both cars came out outstanding, with the black one particularly nice, as it was painted House of Kolor Jet Black, and color sanded to a mirror finish. The red one was just partially done, with orange peel left on to match the factory job. I sold the black one for 13k in March 2003, and the red one for 10k late in 2003.

svtdriven

Established Member
VENOMOUS 10TH said:
Factory paint is not stronger than a quality paint job done by a certified tech.
I have seen and repaired so many brand new cars and trucks due to paint defects. When I refinish a car, it is warrantied for a lifetime, can automakers match that? You are correct that the flex additive will help prevent cracking but won't help much from a rock at 70 mph.

Interesting, I've never seen a lifetime warranty on paint. I have seen brand new cars with corrected defects. you can normally tell when you see an area where the orange peel has been sanded out, or the texture is different. I have also seen these areas deteriorate faster than the rest of the paint, but it does take quite a few years longer to go than the cheaper quality paint.

I'm not a paint expert, so I'll take your word for it. I just go by what I'm told at various body shop painters and from what I've seen. I don't actually handle the paints or could tell you the differences between ppg, dupont, or anyone else.

Question for you then, venomous. if you were going to have your car painted, what would you use and why?

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member
svtdriven said:
Interesting, I've never seen a lifetime warranty on paint. I have seen brand new cars with corrected defects. you can normally tell when you see an area where the orange peel has been sanded out, or the texture is different. I have also seen these areas deteriorate faster than the rest of the paint, but it does take quite a few years longer to go than the cheaper quality paint.

I'm not a paint expert, so I'll take your word for it. I just go by what I'm told at various body shop painters and from what I've seen. I don't actually handle the paints or could tell you the differences between ppg, dupont, or anyone else.

Question for you then, venomous. if you were going to have your car painted, what would you use and why?

I would use Sikkens paint and 3m products to prep with. I've sprayed everything from Transtar that you can buy from O'reillys to House of Color and Sikkens has the most complete line of products at a reasonable price.
Standox and House of color are the top 2 but imo Sikkens is #3, and using it every day for 5 years refinishing insurance work running between 80 and 150 refinish hours a week, I'll take it over the top 2 all day long.
Plus Standox and House of Color are pricey. Manufacturers only warranty their paint for like 3yr/36months if your lucky but a certified tech using a system that he was certified in is guaranteed for life, if they are telling you otherwise then they are not confident in their work or aren't certified to spray the paint they are spraying.

red93cobra

Banned
lifetime warranties are common in a higher end paint shop. I wouldn't even consider using one that wouldnt back their work in writing for life. The exception to this would be for a quick low budget repaint on a beater or something(maaco or earl scheib).

Users who are viewing this thread