What do you use to wipe off dust?

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
I am finished with the correction compound and only have a little bit left to do with the finishing polish and then I will seal it. But the dust got me wondering what do you guys use to wipe the dust off after you get finished with a really big detail or in between the polishing process? I don't want to put any small scratches in my nearly perfect paint now. Second and last question after I seal it if I decide later I want to go back and put more finishing polish on to bring some more "pop" out in the paint can I do that with the sealant already on the car? Then I could just seal it again after, correct?

Sorry for all the questions lately, I am new to this kind of detail work and just want to make sure I do it all right. Thanks again SVTP.

T0RCH3D

Established Member
I am finished with the correction compound and only have a little bit left to do with the finishing polish and then I will seal it. But the dust got me wondering what do you guys use to wipe the dust off after you get finished with a really big detail or in between the polishing process? The answer to this is situation based and very subjective to the users technique/products. If you have an accumulation of light dust on the paint you can use any quick detailer/waterless wash and apply that to the paint then wipe with your best microfiber. This isn't always the best method though as you can mar the paint very easily with the microfiber just moving contaminants across the paint's surface. Some also wash the car again after the polishing/correction process for a clean slate to apply sealant and wax. Either method can induce marring of your freshly corrected paint if you are not careful and do not use the right technique or have high quality, clean towels. I don't want to put any small scratches in my nearly perfect paint now. Second and last question after I seal it if I decide later I want to go back and put more finishing polish on to bring some more "pop" out in the paint can I do that with the sealant already on the car? Then I could just seal it again after, correct? This goes in line with my last answer. Personally I would apply my wax of choice directly after sealant.

Sorry for all the questions lately, I am new to this kind of detail work and just want to make sure I do it all right. Thanks again SVTP.

Answers are above in BOLD

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
Answers are above in BOLD

Okay so basically I need to rinse off and wipe down with quick detail pretty much every time I pull it out of the garage then? I don't drive it much so it collects dust in the garage and I don't drive it unless it's clean. I do have an air compressor and use that to get whatever dust off I can.

Also I was told to put the sealant on last? Compound, finishing polish then sealant. You put the polish on again after sealant?

T0RCH3D

Established Member
Okay so basically I need to rinse off and wipe down with quick detail pretty much every time I pull it out of the garage then? I don't drive it much so it collects dust in the garage and I don't drive it unless it's clean. I do have an air compressor and use that to get whatever dust off I can.

Also I was told to put the sealant on last? Compound, finishing polish then sealant. You put the polish on again after sealant?

If your just talking regular up-keep than yes you can do that. I touch my paint as little as possible, but have very carefully applied quick detailers to my vehicles in the past for very light dust collection. I initially thought in your original post you were talking about after the paint correction step (compound/polish) what you could do to eliminate dusting before applying LSP. I misunderstood your question at first.

Typically, you would apply sealant then your wax of choice. As seen in the chart below:
flowchart.jpg

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
Yes that is what I did. I just wanted to know what you guys used after all the paint correction and detail is complete to wipe dust down without scratching the paint. Like I said I drive my car rarely and usually just you Quick detail with microfiber to get the dust off. But now that I have this much time invested in the detail I wanted to make sure that was the best way to maintain the paint.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Watch junkman2000s video on the two bucket washing method. He uses water to actually dry his car. This will work with getting the dust off (considering its very little). That way you dont even touch the paint.

quad

Established Member
This works great to lift off the dust from the dashboard or the exterior of the car (if it is clean). The refills are cheap so no biggie to use a few in the car to really get it clean.

046500702754lg.jpg

imagerequest.aspx

I also use 3M sticky roll to get off bigger particles on the carpet and seat.

333-836R56EC.jpg

After most of the dust is lifted you can go over it with a few microfiber towels.

For really tough ingrained particles I use a 2.5 HP little shop vac.

026282930200lg.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread