What do you use to dry your 500?

venams03

Established Member
I've been using Microfiber waffle weave towels to dry my cars for the last few years. Much better at leaving the wax on than CHAMOIS! But they're worn and not absorbent and leaving streaks all over the finish.

Does anyone know have suggestions for some new "high quality" drying towels?

Hissssss

Fox body lover
Established Member
Chamois, and then every two weeks I use detailer spray spread/polished with a good terry cloth towel. I tried the synthetic towels years back and they never seemed as good as a real Chamois. I also like the fact that the Chamois polishes a bit while using it. H.

1sweetazzGT500

Established Member
Leaf Blower, than 100% High Quality Cotton Towel from Bed Bath & beyond or Macys etc.... Do not wash with Fabric Softener!!

manOwar

Established Member
Leaf Blower, than 100% High Quality Cotton Towel from Bed Bath & beyond or Macys etc.... Do not wash with Fabric Softener!!

or dry with fabric softener. I use the Green Micro Fiber Towel. If you pick up some quality Micro Fiber Towels, you'll notice the texture is different on the different color's.

venams03

Established Member
or dry with fabric softener. I use the Green Micro Fiber Towel. If you pick up some quality Micro Fiber Towels, you'll notice the texture is different on the different color's.

I used a few gray and yellow microfiber towels for the last 2 years (Sonus Der Wunder from Autopia-carcare.com) but they left unbelievable streaks and a film on my GT500 the first time I washed it.

SOOO... I'm looking to buy some new towels. I don't think the wife used and fabric softener, but maybe some leached into the towels when she dried them since she normally uses fabric softener sheets in the dryer? HMMMMMMMM

6-Speed

Established Member
I use plush 100% cotton towels on the painted exterior surfaces. Once one is damp, I switch to a new one. I go through 3 large size towels for each wash and a few smaller ones. I use micro-fiber towels to dry under the hood & trunk as well as the wheels. The towels are washed after each use with liquid detergent and double rinsed. Dryer dried w/o fabric softener.

Last edited:

Graham gt500 UK

Established Member
so how often do you guys actually wash your cars with soap and water,j I ust use detailer after every time out,Ive only had the car one month, washed and waxed it the first day,its not seen soap and water since!
This car clean science baffles me lol

TexasShelby

Established Member
I use a Sprite chamois, actually 2 of them, one above the door line, one below. (I got mine at NAPA)

They last forever and clean out really easy. Just get a capped raquetball container to put it in and always put it up wet.

I wash mine about every 2 or 3 weeks, depending on my flying schedule. I usually use Adam's Polish Detail Spray inbetween to keep it looking great.

Users who are viewing this thread