What do you think about 3.73 gears on an auto?

What do you think about 3.73 gears in an auto?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ONEbadmachONE

Redirect NOS to air vent!
Established Member
Hey guys, thinking about going with some 3.73 gears but I have an auto in my mach. Some people advise against it some say its crazy awesome! What do you all think? Also I have heard the gears are easy to swap in a mach. Anybody have any experiance doing them?

Keith.red.mach1

Established Member
Mach U

U seen a black Viper up in Cinci? 95 Black with silver stripes

My buddy lives up there and drag races alot.

Sorry for the thread hijak......don't have PM privelages yet

Charles236

Established Member
If it was mine, I'd put in at least 4.10s. I have a 5 speed though, so after driving with 3.55s, I swapped up to 4.30s. I don't know what the overdrive ratio is in an automatic Mach1, but I'm sure that 4.10s would really wake it up. Gears are the best "bang for the buck" mod that I've tried yet, plus you'll really improve driveability with 4.10s. :burnout:

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
3.73 are good on a 4 spd car. youll see a big difference off the line with minimal wheel hop increase. going with 4.10's on stock suspension is a waste of cash. whatever gain you might have picked up with be lost because youll have to feather it out of the hole to prevent wheel hop.

4.10s rob more rwhp that 3.73s too.

just my .02

ONEbadmachONE

Redirect NOS to air vent!
Established Member
Thing is I just dont want it to start humming on the freeway/ using up craploads of gas. I guess you have tradeoffs for more acceleration. Hey thanks to all of you for your input! Sounds like 4.10's it is. //:eek:)

03ZincRcode

Established Member
ONEbadmachONE said:
Thing is I just dont want it to start humming on the freeway/ using up craploads of gas. I guess you have tradeoffs for more acceleration. Hey thanks to all of you for your input! Sounds like 4.10's it is. //:eek:)

correct me if im wrong, but i think you can get a 3.90 gear. it still would not be much different then the 3.55s, but it would be better then 3.73, and plus it would be something different. but 4.10 is still the way to go :rockon:

67bigblock

Established Member
Some say the swap is no sweat,...but it isnt a 9 inch so i'd say assume its not easy. All these procedures are tougher than expected first time around.
A couple people here have the gears so hopefully they will give you an actual heads up.

MeanGreen68

you will barely notice a decrease in gas mileage if you notice one at all. i know alot of people that switched to 4:30 and still get 23 MPG on the highway

Fosters

Established Member
ONEbadmachONE said:

you'll lose 2mpg on the freeway. on a 14 gallon tank, that's 28 miles, roughly another gallon and a half worth of gas. that's ~4 bucks more in gas per tank that you'll be missing... at 4 bucks per week - or however often you fill up, you won't feel it... trust me.

Go with the 4.10s, you won't regret it

Fosters

Established Member
Spacecaptain said:
you will barely notice a decrease in gas mileage if you notice one at all. i know alot of people that switched to 4:30 and still get 23 MPG on the highway

I get about that on the highway, and my mileage went up in the city, b/c i can now use 5th around town, 1500rpm at 45mph... :)

MACHSELF

Established Member
4:10's or 4:30's....I'm a sick puppy so I would have 4:30's in my auto. Definetly upgrade to 31 spline's............

Users who are viewing this thread