What do you guys think of Wyotech?

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
Originally posted by LAXbronco65
Ummmmmm......WTF?!?!?!?!?!

Justin
LOL...I think he was referring to a member here on this board with a similar name.

LAXbronco65

PIMPIN THE 916
Established Member
Originally posted by cobra4v
LOL...I think he was referring to a member here on this board with a similar name.

Oh.....i was talking about the school.......whatever. i couldnt figure out what the hell that guy was talking about.

Justin

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
Heard nothing but great things about it. Are you going to go to Laramie. If so, get ready for some real freaking culture shock, and buy a pair of boots and wranglers. Oh, and a hat.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Are you thinking about becoming an auto technician? If so, you want to do some research and make sure that's the career you really want. Wyotech's marketing and infomercials glorify the profession. The commercials make me laugh when they show the Wyotech "student" (an obvious model) getting in his Vette with the nice looking chick riding shotgun. Most auto techs I know either 1) got out of the business because they couldn't make any money, or 2) they stayed in but they aren't making much and don't have good benefits. I'm not saying there isn't money to be made out there, but it's a tough business for sure.

Do you have a local community college with an automotive program? I have an associates degree in Automotive Technology from my local communtity college. They run an excellent program that is supported by all the major domestic manufacturers. They will even get you set up to work in local dealerships as an apprentice. I think I spent less than $3,500 in course fees and books to get that degree. My guess is $3,500 would pay for about 2 months at Wyotech.

-Greg

LAXbronco65

PIMPIN THE 916
Established Member
Originally posted by cito
Heard nothing but great things about it. Are you going to go to Laramie. If so, get ready for some real freaking culture shock, and buy a pair of boots and wranglers. Oh, and a hat.

ide be taking it here at home in sacramento. is the money really that bad?

Justin

Koolaid_Guy

Yah those wyotech commercials are really funny and to me it's an overpriced school's that won't get u a job any better then a local college could. My teacher in school told me the school it not evetything the commercials turn it out to be and it's overpriced. I am an auto tech graduate myself and yes the money isn't great and it's a tuff job, hope you like working with your hands and lots of scratches and bumps. Cars arn't what they use to be and thier alot harder to work on thn before. I learned that for myself :)

If yah want a good auto tech school come to canada and go to a community college or university and we will teach yah, i heard from so many people our school's up here offer a way better program and our standards are much higher then in the united states for auto tech's. I know myself every mechanic i talked to said so from ones that work at dealer's and work in thier own shops. Also teachers that worked over there and also thought in the school's. Save your cash and go to a different school. I here wyotech is awesome for diesel prgrams but that as far as it goes for being a "great" school.

Best of all though really think about it b/c it's not what everyone makes it out to be. It gets better but it's a long hard ride to get there.

Koolaid_Guy

Originally posted by Top_Fuel
Are you thinking about becoming an auto technician? If so, you want to do some research and make sure that's the career you really want. Wyotech's marketing and infomercials glorify the profession. The commercials make me laugh when they show the Wyotech "student" (an obvious model) getting in his Vette with the nice looking chick riding shotgun. Most auto techs I know either 1) got out of the business because they couldn't make any money, or 2) they stayed in but they aren't making much and don't have good benefits. I'm not saying there isn't money to be made out there, but it's a tough business for sure.

Do you have a local community college with an automotive program? I have an associates degree in Automotive Technology from my local communtity college. They run an excellent program that is supported by all the major domestic manufacturers. They will even get you set up to work in local dealerships as an apprentice. I think I spent less than $3,500 in course fees and books to get that degree. My guess is $3,500 would pay for about 2 months at Wyotech.

-Greg

Auto technology what do they teach u in that course, i am guessing all the new technology used in building today's care etc.. Tell me what's involved in it.

My buddy told me it's like 30000 canadian to go to wyotech which is like freaking hilarious

SynMan5.0

Established Member
I personally wouldn't go there. That's just my opinion. I was seriously considering the school for a while, but I went and took a walk-through tour and was really underimpressed. They don't even let you paint cars at Wyo Tech. You paint mailboxes and couches. How lame is that? And 90% of the project cars that were there had been there for 5+ years with little or no progress being made. Their diesel program looked like it was about the best you would find, but for automotive I would steer clear. Community college automotive programs seem to be just as, if not more, informative than Wyo Tech. I lived in Laramie for over a year (only 40 min. drive from where I live now). Everyone in Laramie refers to Wyo Tech students as "techers." Trust me, it's not a kind reference. 99% of the kids I've met that are going to Wyo Tech know half as much as I do about automobiles and I don't know s#!t. It is true that it would be easy to find a job after completing Wyo Tech's programs. They have a very high job placement. But it just didn't really strike me as a good school. Half the tools are really outdated and obsolete. I understand that you have to work with some of the old stuff to learn, but most of the old tools/equipment were there because they refuse to update. For the money I think it would be much more worth while to just attend a community college. Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide. :beer:

SynMan5.0

Established Member
Originally posted by cito

WTF? Have you ever been to Wyoming? We all don't wear cowboy hats and Wrangler jeans. There are actually fewer "rednecks" and "cowboys" here than there was in northeastern Pennsylvania (where I grew up). When I lived in Laramie I saw more thug-wannabe's with rice burners than anything else.

BlackGT

SVT God
Established Member
I'm attending Universal Technical Institute in Houston its a great school. Both schools have a lot to offer but when it came down to it UTI was a hell of a lot closer to me.

BlackGT

SVT God
Established Member
here at UTI we have graduate programs, such as Mercedz, BMW, Volkswagen/Audi, Porsche etc. The programs i signed up for are; Automotive, Diesel and Ford FACT. the Ford class once i pass and finish those will give me Ford Credentials that will get a job faster and easier if i so choose to work for Ford.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
Pay isn't too bad for automotive technicians. You can also get badass deals on cars if you work for a dealership, plus you can work on your car for free with their tools. I know one guy that makes 60K after 6 years. Think of all the mods you done on your car where you would kill to have a hydrolic lift.

313Speed

Banned
I hear it's a damn good school... I even think there is a campus in Cali as well. As for Wyoming... I live south here in Colorado. I went there once... and being from a big city (detroit native), well, I'm never going to cross that state line again. I would have liked to have gone, but I couldn't live there no matter what it was worth.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
WTF is a thermo king?

By the way, SAM (School of Automotive Machinists) is another option, although I never heard it mentioned much.

Users who are viewing this thread