What do you guys do?

Svtlightning_04

YeA iM sHadY
Established Member
Just wonder, how do you guys clean your engine bay?

I do this, i start the L from a cold start (so i dont crack the heads) and keep it running while i spray off and on with the water hose. I let it run for a little while i wip down everything.

02REDSVT

alienfreek
Established Member
havent done it in a while, but I spray everything with a light coat of simple green, then hose it off. Then I go over it all with a rag to clean and dry what I can.... thanks for reminding me!

Skrapmetal

Established Member
havent done it in a while, but I spray everything with a light coat of simple green, then hose it off. Then I go over it all with a rag to clean and dry what I can.... thanks for reminding me!

That's pretty much what I do. Mine doesn't get very dirty... a little dusty is all. I wipe off as much dust as I can before I spray anything down, the put a plastic bag over the air filter and shoot it with some simple green, let it sit for about a minute, then lightly mist it down with the hose. Then I hand dry everything I can before I start it and let it warm up and dry off.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
Wet engine, then spray it with a 50/50 mix of Simple Green and water. Use a brush to scrub the really soiled spots, then rinse. To make it look show-room new under the hood, I then spray it down with a 50/50 mix of Vinylex and water and let it dry... no drying necessary.

BTW... Vinylex is a water based rubber and vinyl protectant that will make the hoses, etc. look like new, and because its water based it washes right off... no build-up. Also, it doesn't attract dust like Armor All, etc. It can be bought from Pep Boys.

bgstew6

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
Established Member
Wet engine, then spray it with a 50/50 mix of Simple Green and water. Use a brush to scrub the really soiled spots, then rinse. To make it look show-room new under the hood, I then spray it down with a 50/50 mix of Vinylex and water and let it dry... no drying necessary.

BTW... Vinylex is a water based rubber and vinyl protectant that will make the hoses, etc. look like new, and because its water based it washes right off... no build-up. Also, it doesn't attract dust like Armor All, etc. It can be bought from Pep Boys.

Works like a champ.....:beer:

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
Just wonder, how do you guys clean your engine bay?

I do this, i start the L from a cold start (so i dont crack the heads) and keep it running while i spray off and on with the water hose. I let it run for a little while i wip down everything.
Wash it with the engine cold. NEVER running.
The exhaust manifolds can crack or lose the gasket sealing if you water down a running engine.
Also, keep water off electrical parts like alternator, etc, to avoid shorting them out.

Last edited:

amacvey

Established Member
...i always just went in there with some little towels and toothbrushes and did it by hand :bash: your methods seem much easier.

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
I just clean the big areas off with a wet sponge. I have never sprayed the motor with water, my luck I would **** something up. Its clean enough, not like its a show truck. Its a DD, its gonna get dirty!

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
Plenty of good cleaning methods, but to keep it clean afterwards WD40 and some paper towels works for me, gets the dust off everything.

txyaloo

Established Member
Plenty of good cleaning methods, but to keep it clean afterwards WD40 and some paper towels works for me, gets the dust off everything.

+1 WD-40 works great and looks good for quite a while. It's been 2-3 months since I've done mine, and it still looks freshly detailed after lots of highway driving and some dirt roads.

LightningClint

Every Last DETAIL
Established Member
The easiest way to make sure the coils and plugs get dry is with a leaf blower. Just go back and forth a couple times without concentrating on that area. You can use compressed air too

00SVT

KB Powered
Established Member
I use Turtle wax spray on tire foam. I cover up anything that can't get wet and spray the rest of it down. Let it sit for a few mins. then wipe it down. Go back over it with some Back to black to shine it up some more.

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
well, with my ram air hood, some water and dust gets built up. so as long as i can tell what each part is, i haven't done anything to thoroughly clean the engine bay

Users who are viewing this thread