What do you guys do for slicks?

Venom Lover

Established Member
I asked this question over on the stangnet SVT forum, but no one seems to know the answer or care. Maybe you all can help. I have to believe there are some people on this board who are interested in drag racing their Cobras....

So, I'm seriously considering buying an '03 Cobra, but I'm wondering what you guys do for slicks on this car.

Since my Viper has 17" rims, I am well aware of the fact that there are no ET streets that will work on the stock rims. What I've had to do for the Viper is get custom 16" rims and mount them with 11.5x25" ET streets. Had to go the custom route to get the rims to fit over the rotors and calipers. Oh, and also you need skinnies for the front.

So, just curious what you need to do to get slicks on the Cobra. It seems like in theory the same approach as for the Viper should work for the Cobra. My source of custom rims, BTW, was John Purner at Complete Custom Wheel.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
I don't know much about custom rims and slicks...but I will welcome you to the board :-D :beer:

Venom Lover

Established Member
Thanks, Jimbo!

Here's a simpler question: does the '03 Cobra have the Brembo brake kit on it, same as the Cobra R? I've heard that clearing the calipers is the problem with most 16" rims for the Cobra, which is why you have to go the custom route....

edz

Retired.
Established Member
15's should fit the back same as with the old Gt's/Cobras. The Problem is with the front, if you want to use skinnies you have to have special rims to clear the Breaks.

edz

Retired.
Established Member
Well I really screwed that one up, apparently I am still driving a 98. The IRS gets in the way on the rear and will not allow 15's to be used. I tried my old 15's yesterday and no go. I do not know if you will have to go to 16's or 17's to clear the IRS.

Users who are viewing this thread