What do I need to know about the 13/14 gt500

xenodragon

Established Member
What are the pros/cons of the gt500 now that they have been out for a while and people are starting to put some miles on them. Are they any weak "links" to be upgraded first (i.e. 03/04 cobras everyone put a diff brace on). I know these PROBABLY have been answered throughout multiple postings but its hard to get one good answer. Mainly, I am weighing my options for my next car. I have seen a few instances where the gt500 motor blew, other instnaces where axles bent. I just want to make sure thats not the norm, or its easily fixable.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
There are no real weak links. Go drive a stock one the power is insane. I have only heard of 2 people ever having issues with hurting the engine, and it's usually a tuning issue.

paluka21

Established Member
I agree there are no "weak" links. But, I will say there have been reports of folks bending axles even at stock power and stock tires, although I don't think this is the norm. If anything I would say the stock clutch could be the weakest link in the car if there is one.
If you start modifying the car or running stickier tires, then the clutch and axles would be my first thing to replace.

ThomasL

Established Member
I'm bored so i'll answer, but the search and a scroll through the older threads will answer TONS of stuff for you. With that said, first thing that comes to mind as far as weakness would be the rubber. Depending on how you plan on using the car, the MPSS is a huge upgrade over the stock Goodyears as far as an all around street tire. Of course you could always go the drag radial route via Nitto or MT. There is also a never ending debate on the stock 3.31 gears, or switching to 3.73 or even 4.10. I'm still stock but others rave about the 3.73 and 4.10. Again, depends on YOUR needs. Oil separators are a good/cheap/quick mod. Got mine from JLT. Redline hood struts are another good/cheap/quick mod to get rid of the use of the stupid hood prop. Also something to think about would be upgrading the clutch. Stock clutch has mixed reviews and folks have had issues with em or just plain don't like the feel of it. I'm having a Mcleod RXT clutch installed this weekend actually. As far as power upgrades, your standard pulley/throttle body/intake and tune package can get you another 100hp/tq for "cheap". I went with VMP tuning for this and couldn't be happier. Probably missing some things here and others will chime in but that should give you a good idea. Out of the box these things are monsters and a blast to drive. These mods really free it up. Oh also throw axles and exhaust to the list as far as common mods for this car too. :beer:

Clemson

Established Member
Some complain about the shifter, which is easily remedied with an MGW. To me, its the best feeling stock shifter Ive ever felt.

ThomasL

Established Member
Some complain about the shifter, which is easily remedied with an MGW. To me, its the best feeling stock shifter Ive ever felt.

I agree with you. At this time, i'm not having enough of an issue with the stock shifter to justify a $300 upgrade. Maybe one day. I haven't experienced the 1-2 lockout issue and have driven it hard at times too. Also, post 666 :rockon:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Theres an FAQ in the sticky section

I've owned two now. One with over 11k miles. One with over 6k miles. Both of them have been a joy to drive and own.

The factory tires suck. Buy one with Recaros.

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
I really enjoy my car ALOT. The stock power is strong but after riding in a Pulley/Tune car there is no comparison. Very nice car to own. Insurance is not that bad for what you get. The Goodyears suck....period. Be very careful driving in the rain. Also my car only tops out at 195.7 mph. Verified with a GPS. That was bone stock. Compared to my stock 2007 ZO6 that "only" topped out at 192.3 mph. Also if I drive my car "easy" I can get over 22 MPGs.

Clemson

Established Member
I really enjoy my car ALOT. The stock power is strong but after riding in a Pulley/Tune car there is no comparison. Very nice car to own. Insurance is not that bad for what you get. The Goodyears suck....period. Be very careful driving in the rain. Also my car only tops out at 195.7 mph. Verified with a GPS. That was bone stock. Compared to my stock 2007 ZO6 that "only" topped out at 192.3 mph. Also if I drive my car "easy" I can get over 22 MPGs.

You would have to be suicidal, mental, or both to drive this thing in the rain/cold - especially on the stock rubber.

DOHC MARK VIII

Mustang ***** since 1970
Established Member
You would have to be suicidal, mental, or both to drive this thing in the rain/cold - especially on the stock rubber.

And that's why I went with Michelin Super Sports after 4 months and less than 4000 miles on the factory Goodyear F1's. The Goodyears may stick better after they're heated up, but my neighbors wouldn't appreciate me doing burnouts in front of my house before I leave each time.

I upgraded from a 2011 Shelby GT500 with pulley and tune. It ran pretty damn good but my '14 will run off and hide from the '11 and gets better mpg too (LOL). My Shelby's are my daily driver's and I love each and every mile. :burnout:

DOHC MARK VIII

Mustang ***** since 1970
Established Member
Ill be in the Charleston area all week next week - Ill keep an eye out for ya ;)

If you're around next Saturday, we'll having a big auto show at the Sam's in Tangier outlet Mall. It's being put on by the local Muscle Car Club. Should be lot's of nice cars and will probably bring out many of the late model Shelby's.

Clemson

Established Member
If you're around next Saturday, we'll having a big auto show at the Sam's in Tangier outlet Mall. It's being put on by the local Muscle Car Club. Should be lot's of nice cars and will probably bring out many of the late model Shelby's.

Crap, wish it was THIS Saturday......Im leaving to come back home next Friday lol

Users who are viewing this thread