What do i need to get 5.0 3550 to fit my 4.6?

super302

Established Member
I might be picking up a 3550 out of a 91 5.0 mustang, what all would i need to hook it up to my DOHC 4.6????
Also, do they have a pickup for speed sensor, non-mechanical

Would it even be worth it?
Thanks.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
the alum bellhousing is about $300, the lakewood scattershield is about $400. I would get the alum bellhousing. the scattershield has really strict tolerances.

your clutch will work fine, shouldn't have any probs with the speedo hook up. You'll need to get a D/S spacer from UPR ($30) to keep down on the noise.

Also, you will either have to move your tranny crossmember up, or you will need the PHP adapter plate (this is what i have). the adatper plate is about $50. I would go ahead and get polyurethane bushing for the transmission cross mount from Energy Suspension. it made the tranny feel SOOO much better when i did it.

spraying away

Tough Guy!
Established Member
Doug said:
the alum bellhousing is about $300, the lakewood scattershield is about $400. I would get the alum bellhousing. the scattershield has really strict tolerances.

your clutch will work fine, shouldn't have any probs with the speedo hook up. You'll need to get a D/S spacer from UPR ($30) to keep down on the noise.

Also, you will either have to move your tranny crossmember up, or you will need the PHP adapter plate (this is what i have). the adatper plate is about $50. I would go ahead and get polyurethane bushing for the transmission cross mount from Energy Suspension. it made the tranny feel SOOO much better when i did it.
Whoa! where you buying your parts bro? 169 for alluminum,269 for steel!

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
when i was looking for the block/adapter plate for my lakewood scattershield - the scattershield i had was almost 400$ with the alum 300. i guess they came down in price. summit is showing the one i got for $350.

If the scattershield wasn't a freebie, i would go with the alum bellhousing.

on-3svt

Established Member
with the lakewood it is not a direct bolt it it has to be checked for the run out
and also has to be smoothed out where it touches the block and where the trans goes against it. you have to make sure the trans is directly centered

Users who are viewing this thread