what do i need for a gear install??

THEWOODKING

im about to have my 4.30's installed at dpr in san diego and was wondering what parts i need for the install, such as bearings and seals?? like exact part numbers and names.... i have the gears already and the friction modifier. i have the frpp gears and a guy from dpr asked for the part number and noticed it ended in the letter m, and he said the gears are made by motive and sometimes whine a lil, and there is another gears from frpp that ends in the letter a that do not whine, have you guys heard of this before?? also if you happen to know where to get the parts the cheapest id appreciate it. thanks

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
I do know that the ones that end in "m" are not as good as the older ford gears.
Just get a complete bearing kit, rebuild you trac loc etc...may as well being your in there.

Oh and ford Racing sells bearing kits but they are Ratech in a FRPP box. No more Timken bearings. They now use KOYO.

HMUSN

Established Member
The motive gears are known for there whine.

he was talking about frpp gears (ford racing)
as for all the parts.. talk to shawn at dpr and ask him what you need.
most of the stuff they have on hand anyway.
dpr did gear installs on both of my mustangs and I was very pleased with their work.

THEWOODKING

ya shawn is actually the one that told me my frpp gears were made by motive being that the part number ended in "m", i asked shawn and he didnt really give me a direct answer on what exactly i needed....thats why im asking on here to see if i can save some money

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
If properly installed, no set of gears should whine. Motives are no more prone to whine than any other brand. It's all about the person installing them.

Case in point, I had a set of genuine FRPP gears (before they started outsourcing to Motive) that HOWLED. Now, I have a set of Motives that are silent. The only difference was the first guy sucked and the second guy is an excellent mechanic.

Shinigami

Established Member
I had both the old and new sets of FR 4.10's in my trunk. if there is no M in teh part number, just see if they are mad in the US(old Ford) or Italy(Motive)

I have motive in my rear,......dead silent.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
BreBar21 said:
If properly installed, no set of gears should whine. Motives are no more prone to whine than any other brand. It's all about the person installing them.

Case in point, I had a set of genuine FRPP gears (before they started outsourcing to Motive) that HOWLED. Now, I have a set of Motives that are silent. The only difference was the first guy sucked and the second guy is an excellent mechanic.

Yeah, we hashed this out some time back I do believe:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348432&highlight=motive+gears
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315722&highlight=motive+gears

I would agree the difference seems to be who and how the gears are set up. When I have mine done, hopefully in the next few months, I'm definitely getting the bearing kit too!

Users who are viewing this thread