What do CC plates actually do?

kingcobra9450

Established Member
I always see ppl on here talking about buying new CC plates and I'm not really sure why. I thought I had an idea what CC plates do but if im correct I dont see a need to upgrade your CC plates. Also is this a mod that most 96+ cars do or are you guys doing installing them on 94-95 cobras too.

Badazgt

Established Member
CC plates helped me alot... its for cars that are lowered... it adjusts the toe to asure proper alignment

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
in simple terms it adjust the wheels angle and tilt so that you end up with a flat contact patch for the most part so you dont end up running to much on one side of the tire compared to the other which will wear it down faster and give you a contact patch that does not give you the best handling because less of the tire is touching the ground

in simple terms it adjust the wheels angle and tilt so that you end up with a flat contact patch for the most part so you dont end up running to much on one side of the tire compared to the other which will wear it down faster and give you a contact patch that does not give you the best handling because less of the tire is touching the ground

what he said, but also...

Along with giving a larger range for allignment of the front end, cc plates also help strengthen and brace the strut tower. For instance, when going with front coil over suspension, all of the weight on the front of the car is transfered from the frame/spring perch, over to the strut tower. The factory caster camber plates and rubber bushings are too weak to handle such a large amount of weight and force, so thats where the stronger plates come in (which also eliminate the rubber bushing and replaces it with an aluminum bearing).

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
Basic definition,

Allows for more adjustment of Camber and Caster during alignment.

+1. camber is the top of the tire, adjusted in and out (negative and positive) caster is where the wheel sits forward and rearward in the wheel well itself. but it does not correct for toe in/toe out. toe is set by the tie rods. you dont have to have a car lowered to use them. i have them and i have a 95

Erich

Established Member
Just a note-when you get your car "aligned" they normally just check if the car falls into factory specs. They do not optimize.
Once you start thinking about CC plates, you also can think about actually setting your alignment for optimum handling. The CC plates allow this to be done nicely. With the MM plates, the caster and camber can be adjusted separately.
When you lower the car, you may get outside of where the factory plates can adjust to. Also you may lose some travel. With plates like MM you can gain back travel by how the strut comes up high out of the strut tower.
Definately a good mod. At first the price seemed high for what was in the picture but in reality, the mm pieces are beauties and the handling difference is great.
I am running B springs on my 97
Erich

kingcobra9450

Established Member
thanks guys i had an idea of what they should do but not to the extend you guys explained and i just didnt think our cars really needed them. Who knows maybe it will be a mod down the line...

Erich

Established Member
"need' is a relative word.
The more you get rid of rubber bushings, the more NVH you get.
For me, I want precision so I have few rubber bushings left. I even got rid of my steering column for a borgeson one-no more rag joint.
Erich

Users who are viewing this thread