What did you pay for a pulley swap?

fruhdaddy

Established Member
I called one of the known shops in FL (Lamotta) to do a pulley swap and tune. I was told $600 and $850 if they do the plugs with it. Does this sound in the ballpark of what you paid or should I look elsewhere? What is your input?

moon

Established Member
U need more than ur posting;

repost exactly what the tuner/installer of parts has included in these $$

Dusten

Established Member
650 to install a pulley and tune isnt terrible because the tune is likely 500-600. Dont do a pulley without plugs. the pulley is super easy to do though, not something i'd consider paying for.

fruhdaddy

Established Member
650 to install a pulley and tune isnt terrible because the tune is likely 500-600. Dont do a pulley without plugs. the pulley is super easy to do though, not something i'd consider paying for.

I have the plugs. Im wondering if it is just as same to use the email tune and install it myself or just pay it and get it over with

moon

Established Member
My first lower/pulley install was 1 1/2 hr labor, I bought the SCTx2 from the tuner, but the street and drag tune was $250 extra.

You need to list what your other intake specs are (if not) you need more stuff !!

Dusten

Established Member
I don't think he really needs to list any more, nor would he need more mods. The plugs i think book for about 2-3 hours, so figured 160-250 for labor on those depending on shop rate. The pulley like i said is a fair price with the dyno tune, but none of it is hard enough i'd consider paying anyone to do it, other than the tune

tistan

Established Member
Install the pullley and plugs yourself and use an email tune from a reputable tuner. Most tuners will have the tune for your truck already installed in their database because they have done hundreds of lightnings with the same mods as yours. When you get your tune, take it to a local dyno and pay $75 for a dyno run with air fuel readings. If the readings are off the tuner will make adjustment and email you a new tune to upload. Doing it this way will save your about $600. I have never had an email tune for a pretty mild bolton vehicle be off.

fruhdaddy

Established Member
Install the pullley and plugs yourself and use an email tune from a reputable tuner. Most tuners will have the tune for your truck already installed in their database because they have done hundreds of lightnings with the same mods as yours. When you get your tune, take it to a local dyno and pay $75 for a dyno run with air fuel readings. If the readings are off the tuner will make adjustment and email you a new tune to upload. Doing it this way will save your about $600. I have never had an email tune for a pretty mild bolton vehicle be off.

Thats what Im looking to do. Im going to clean my intercooler this coming up weekend so is it okay to install the colder plugs at this time? I dont see a pulley swap to be that difficult as I have done numerous underdrive sets for mustangs. Who would recommend for an email tune? Thanks for the info guys

03LCalgaryAB

Established Member
Do the plugs and pulley on your own and save some cash. When I put in the TR6 (gapped for a 6# lower) on a stock tune I ran really rich and the exhaust fumes would burn my eyes, but maybe that was just me. As for the e-mail tune there are lots of reputable shops out there such as Amazon Tuning, JLP, JDM, WMS and they will do revisions to get your tune spot on. GL

tistan

Established Member
You definitely want to do the plugs while you have the whole top of the motor off. It will make the plug change super easy.

StaceySVT99

Established Member

Agree, I did my own and although it hurt the biceps, 3 breaker bars later it was done! Swapped out my 6, but i must say my ex husband and I argued for hours over who put it on so damn tight. Make sure you have a good torque wrench and breaker bar for the job. I also have my own tuning software, so I contacted the guy online and he helped me make a tune that I just uploaded in to the truck. Save yourself the money but definately have that thing dynoed. Id say it would also help to get an air/fuel gauge to make sure you arent running too rich. I recommend Sniper tuning. Good luck!

Ct.TOPGUN

Established Member
Definately do the work yourself. And yes you can swap to colder plugs before the tune goes in. You can drive it with the pulley change as well, but no aggressive driving until the tuning is done. Get an email tune from the shop of your choice that works with your choice of tuning hardware/software. Take some of the saved money and get a wideband O2 guage. Verify A/F and send datalogs to shop to dial in the tune.

Jim

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
+1 about doing it yourself. that price to me, is crazy. If the back plugs weren't a pain in the arse, the swap would go quicker. Even first time, it only took me a little over an hour. Pulley swap isn't bad either. For my dyno tune it was $300 for my L. My Cobra was only $330.

Users who are viewing this thread