What did you do to your foxbody mustang today?

triple-s

Established Member
How his looked.

Attachments

• IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 49

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a lot of bad capacitors on my 90 coupes ECU. I sent it in to ECU Exchange for repairs. Very fast turnaround and cost about 115 dollars.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Mustang5L5

Established Member
Alright guys, question for your foxbody guru’s. My 88 notch is mostly stock aside from 3.73 gears, headers, and ported intake. Motor was “refreshed” by previous owner. Since my ownership I’ve done the following. The car runs and drives fine until you get to driving for a bit. Then it will randomly stall coming up to a light. Any thoughts or suggestions? It’s got 11 degrees of timing now also.

All brand new brackets
New fan blade
New distributor
New spark plugs
New wires
New water pump
New alternator
Swapped to a 1 wire alternator

Still Speed density, or mass air conversion?

Mustang5L5

Established Member
Believe it was converted to mass air.

Was the VSS wired in place to pin 3 and 6?

Speed density cars don't use the VSS for the ECU, only the cruise. When converting to mass air, the VSS should be added (if not present) and wired in for the mass air ECU.

Without it, you can sometimes experience a random stalling when coming to a dead stop. You should however get a code 29.

It's common enough that anytime i see an 86-88 with "randomly stalls when stopping" it's the first thing I think of. All those mass air swap writeups that omit this step, or claim it "optional" really need to be rewritten.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Alright guys, question for your foxbody guru’s. My 88 notch is mostly stock aside from 3.73 gears, headers, and ported intake. Motor was “refreshed” by previous owner. Since my ownership I’ve done the following. The car runs and drives fine until you get to driving for a bit. Then it will randomly stall coming up to a light. Any thoughts or suggestions? It’s got 11 degrees of timing now also.

All brand new brackets
New fan blade
New distributor
New spark plugs
New wires
New water pump
New alternator
Swapped to a 1 wire alternator

I would check the TPS and Idle air control valve. Mine would do this back in the day. Would let off the gas and as the RPMs fell it would die.

My brother worked at Ford. The tech said the TPS was not sending out the proper voltage or something like that. So, it would not recover from an RPM drop and would stall.

Other than that it ran fine.

Just a thought.....

LS WUT

Established Member
Was the VSS wired in place to pin 3 and 6?

Speed density cars don't use the VSS for the ECU, only the cruise. When converting to mass air, the VSS should be added (if not present) and wired in for the mass air ECU.

Without it, you can sometimes experience a random stalling when coming to a dead stop. You should however get a code 29.

It's common enough that anytime i see an 86-88 with "randomly stalls when stopping" it's the first thing I think of. All those mass air swap writeups that omit this step, or claim it "optional" really need to be rewritten.
I’m unaware sir, that was done before I got the car. I’ll have to check that when I’m able to, I’ll have my buddy check on it, it’s been with him for quite some time now due to my lack of space. Thanks for your response, I’ll relay this to him!

LS WUT

Established Member
I would check the TPS and Idle air control valve. Mine would do this back in the day. Would let off the gas and as the RPMs fell it would die.

My brother worked at Ford. The tech said the TPS was not sending out the proper voltage or something like that. So, it would not recover from an RPM drop and would stall.

Other than that it ran fine.

Just a thought.....
Thank you sir! I’ll double check this as well, I haven’t dabbled too much into the old school stuff with distributors. This is all new to me really. Thanks for all of your guys help

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Thank you sir! I’ll double check this as well, I haven’t dabbled too much into the old school stuff with distributors. This is all new to me really. Thanks for all of your guys help
I hear you brother. That was my issue with the 57 Thunderbird I've been working on. Had no clue how to set up carburetor and forgot how it related to timing LOL.

Thank God for YouTube. Got it figured out and running well.

And you're welcome. That's why we are here. To help each other out.....

LS WUT

Established Member
I hear you brother. That was my issue with the 57 Thunderbird I've been working on. Had no clue how to set up carburetor and forgot how it related to timing LOL.

Thank God for YouTube. Got it figured out and running well.

And you're welcome. That's why we are here. To help each other out.....
For sure man, being as my recovery time is getting further and further away I’m having more time to research some stuff. I’ll know Wednesday what my next order of business is. Thank you very much again.

Mustang5L5

Established Member
Got my rear wheels mounted up. 265/40/18 on a 18x9.

Mounted it up and discovered they are a bit too sunken in for my tastes. I had to stick a 5mm spacer to help clear my tailpipes.

I think i'm going to stick my Sn95 axles back in to push this out 19mm each side. I certainly think I can go 14mm more than what's here. It's a bummer because I already HAD the Sn95 axles in and went to fox lenght to run 9" wheels. I should have confirmed fit better

The front is flush, so it looks odd with the rears pulled in a bit. This is with 5mm spacer.

1691501451521.png

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Just did my sway bar bushings too. Had a super loud front end squeak going over bumps.
I could lay under the sway bar and move it quite a bit while trying to bench press it. Now it's firm and doesn't move.

I think my bbk air intake is also rattling. I really want to put the stock TB and air box back on.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
How his looked.
I also used ecuexchange. Trouble shooting, I found that #3 injector wasn't firing. Rather than digging into the wiring I figured it couldn't hurt to have the commuter checked. Sure enough, it had a bad board. Great communication, great price and fast turn around. Would definitely use them again.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I could lay under the sway bar and move it quite a bit while trying to bench press it. Now it's firm and doesn't move.

I think my bbk air intake is also rattling. I really want to put the stock TB and air box back on.

Same here. I pulled the front wheels off convinced I had a bad ball joint by the noise. Took the end links off and I could move the sway bar up and down a few inches with just my thumb and index finger, and there was the noise.

I'm not a fan of the aftermarket cold air systems, they just don't look right and I don't think they do much.

Users who are viewing this thread