What did you do for your Terminator today?

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
A 250amp KMJ. It's one of those things I knew I was going to do at some point. Even after a few thousand miles it still has the pulsing issue. I just didn't want to crawl under the car again.
I dont think anybody enjoys playing "alternator origami" on a Cobra.

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
That's one of the times I'm really thankful I swapped to the MM k member.
giphy.gif

cj428mach

Established Member
A 250amp KMJ. It's one of those things I knew I was going to do at some point. Even after a few thousand miles it still has the pulsing issue. I just didn't want to crawl under the car again.
I never had any luck with KMJ ones. I bought his original 3g and couldn't get much over 12v. I reached out to him and he upgraded me to the 200amp for just the cost difference between the two and told me to keep the original.

The 200 still didn't do any better so I swapped on my PA 200 amp 3g and have been running it ever since.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I never had any luck with KMJ ones. I bought his original 3g and couldn't get much over 12v. I reached out to him and he upgraded me to the 200amp for just the cost difference between the two and told me to keep the original.

The 200 still didn't do any better so I swapped on my PA 200 amp 3g and have been running it ever since.

Damn really? I thought the KMJ where the go too? I have a reman OEM on mine but need to decide what I’m gonna go with when it craps out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I know people don’t like J2Fab but mine is working great. This is my second J2Fab (first one was on my 2001 GT). Never had any issues with either (*knock on wood*).

01yellercobra

Established Member

This one was DOA originally. I also don't think he sent me the right one going by the emails he sent me when I went to return it. I saw the pulsing even after the rebuild, but at that point I was tired of swapping alternators. I'll track down a replacement regulator for this one as I'm sure that's what's bad and then keep it on the shelf just in case.

I know people don’t like J2Fab but mine is working great. This is my second J2Fab (first one was on my 2001 GT). Never had any issues with either (*knock on wood*).
One of my spares is a J2 unit that I had to replace the regulator on. That one has probably lasted me the longest aside from the stock unit. My main hold up on installing it was I couldn't get it tested locally to make sure the new regulator is good. So I'll probably test it in the car tomorrow.

I also have a 220amp that I picked up locally, but I didn't like how the voltage would drop under 12vdc at idle. Even with the small pulley. Above 1000rpm it was a beast though. Maybe if I ever swap to that 4lb lower I have.....

Looking at this post: tell me you own a Terminator without telling me......

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
What do you mean by pulsing?
The lights will pulse at idle. Think like when bass hits hard on a good song and the headlights dim. At idle I can see my dash light pulsing on and off. Not fully on and off, but getting dim and coming back. The dome light does it too when it's on. I think my head lights did it as well until I switched to LED's.

According to KMJ the pulsing is because the commutator needs to be broken in. Which isn't a thing. It's probably just not running true.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
seems a lot of these aftermarket guys struggle to make these things put out enough power at idle nor can/will they tell you what it should be putting out at a given alternator speed. ive been through 2 brands of 4g style and it's the same thing. Gonna take my amp clamp to a meet and see what the stock ones put out for comparison.

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
The lights will pulse at idle. Think like when bass hits hard on a good song and the headlights dim. At idle I can see my dash light pulsing on and off. Not fully on and off, but getting dim and coming back. The dome light does it too when it's on. I think my head lights did it as well until I switched to LED's.

According to KMJ the pulsing is because the commutator needs to be broken in. Which isn't a thing. It's probably just not running true.
That's why I asked because my car does that exact thing at idle. All the lights flicker, the gauge lights, brake lights, even my head lights have started flickering. Seems like it's getting worse too, some times it'll even do it while driving now. My SCT says my battery stays around high 13s-14 volts but it seems like it runs like garbage. Even kind of sounds like it wants to die at idle.

Sent from my SM-S536DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

Established Member
That's why I asked because my car does that exact thing at idle. All the lights flicker, the gauge lights, brake lights, even my head lights have started flickering. Seems like it's getting worse too, some times it'll even do it while driving now. My SCT says my battery stays around high 13s-14 volts but it seems like it runs like garbage. Even kind of sounds like it wants to die at idle.

Mine probably does it at cruise too. But I'm not sure if it's that or the amp draw at times. He recommended the 3" pulley, but at idle it just wasn't making enough power. So I swapped to a stock sized pulley to get the RPM's up.

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
Mine probably does it at cruise too. But I'm not sure if it's that or the amp draw at times. He recommended the 3" pulley, but at idle it just wasn't making enough power. So I swapped to a stock sized pulley to get the RPM's up.
I never run the radio in my car and my amps aren't even fused. There shouldn't be anything drawing extra power on my car yet I still have this problem. I've been planning on buying a KMJ alternator and big wire kit soon and I was hoping that'd fix the problem. It's just annoying driving the car around and constantly feeling like it wants to die. I don't understand why it even does it, I don't run A/C, radio, or anything in my car.

Users who are viewing this thread