What did I break? (Vacuum line of some kind, pic attached)

VEN0MUS

Established Member
I installed a new upper intake manifold gasket today and when I took my manifold off I broke this line. Started my 97' cobra up after the install and it died after 1 minute or so of running. I noticed this red line broke off from the rubber piece and when I placed my finger over it (sucks air in) my cobra would run fine again. As soon as I let go it began to die.... I know its some kind of vacuum like but cant find a replacement part or know how to fix it?? I placed some tape over it in the meantime and it ran fine idling as a temporary fix but I want a long term solution. The other part of the red plastic tube is broken off inside the rubber piece like I said... Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2760.JPG
    IMG_2760.JPG
    254.8 KB · Views: 134

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
So, you should be able to pull the broken section out, and use a single drop of super glue to reinstall the tube into the rubber.

VEN0MUS

Established Member
Yeah I contemplated this, just didnt know how long of a fix it would. I want to know the actual part name/part number in case I actually have to replace it but Im going to maybe try that tomorrow in the meantime

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
I'm not sure, but it may fall into the category of parts that aren't sold by Ford any more and aren't supported by the aftermarket. I fixed one of my vacuum lines like this a couple years back and it's been solid since.

shurur

Established Member
Mecedes 1mm ID cohline with 3-4mm ID silicone line,
Silicone line can be used as a coupler from the new cohline to the oem vac line.

You can also cut all the oem colored plastic lines out, but leave an inch end on each rubber boot in order to push on the silicone lines.
Then all your lines will be silicone.
Small tie-wraps or spring claps work fine; I doubt they are even needed.

New plastic barbs and tees can be found in packets at O'reilly's.
You can also buy a vacuum manifold and mount it on the firewall, old school style.
It is your chance to redesign.

I've run silicone vac lines on my Audi A4, Infiniti G35 and my Mustang.

Mice love those oem vac lines..

Example:
DIY: B6 A4 3.0 Complete Vacuum Line replacement

The line that runs along the drivers side head was replaced with cohline, as the original was cohline as well.

Good silicone vac line hose in various sizes can be had for cheap on ebay.
New Dorman boots can be for cheap as well, but yours are probably fine.

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
soak the rubber in hot water,

when it's warm the pieces will pull out

a small dab of black silicone works awesome to hold rubber over plastic line for repairs

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
It doesn't look broken to me. The barb/ flared end is still there. It just looks like it got pulled out of the rubber fitting. Just push it back in.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
It doesn't look broken to me. The barb/ flared end is still there. It just looks like it got pulled out of the rubber fitting. Just push it back in.

This.
You can see it has fell off before too, there is a zip tie on the hose that someone used to keep it together.

OP- Just use a dab of silicon on the red part, and then slide the hose back on. Use a small worm clamp (down closer to the barbed area) if you are really worried about it.

VEN0MUS

Established Member
It was broken, trust me. I fooled around with it more and the other end broke off as well. I bought some new vacuum lines and a tee fitting and got it working fine now, thanks for the responses though!

Users who are viewing this thread