What determines needing a "Catch Can"?

svtmadman

Established Member
I just got the KB on my car last week. In your guys opinion will i need a catch can? What ill effects does not having one in place cause?

Shawn:shrug:

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I just got the KB on my car last week. In your guys opinion will i need a catch can? What ill effects does not having one in place cause?

Shawn:shrug:

I didn't have the catch cans with my steggy snakebite. When I took blower off there was oil up in the supercharger and on intercooler. Not much in the air intake.
Shortly after installing the tvs, I gave van and call and ordered both JLT catch cans. It's cheap insurance to keep oil out and make things more efficient.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
A catch can is always a good investment. I custom built my own.

Another way to reduce oil buildup in your supercharger is to use an engine lubricant with lower NOACK Volatility (burn off/evaporation). Motorcraft 5W-50 loses ~12% of it's mass at 150*C temps, true synthetics 8% or less.

Red Line 5W-50 ~6%
Amsoil 10W-40 6.7% (my previous fill)
Amsoil 10W-30 5.7% (my current fill)

Lower NOACK = less oil buildup in catch cans and superchargers. Yes, it's a linear equation. Cut NOACK in half, you reduce oil PCV contamination in half.

Last edited:

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
The JLT is a great, good-looking can. You need one on the passenger side with the added boost of the KB. You will see that those who put them on both sides don't catch much oil, if any, on the drivers side.

I saw oil in my KB before I installed the JLT can and now there it is not there. You don't need a big can. Just check it once in a while, especially after prolonged hard driving/track.

svtmadman

Established Member
Thanks fellas! I never had one on my Terminator,LS6/383 just may invest in one for the 500 soon. Cheap insurance someone said!

CompO_Eric

Arch Enemy of the Prius
Established Member
I got one on both sides... just stuck them on last time I was at home.

Probably don't need two but at least it looks cool? :(

Users who are viewing this thread