What degrees does timing get pulled?

imsuperman

Established Member
I just installed the LFP heat exchanger and have been monitoring the IAT2 temp. In this 90 degree weather it reached 140F. When does timing start getting pulled? Also the engine coolant reached 204F, is this ok or too hot? Thanks.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
150 for IAT2. Do you ahve fans on it? If not thats why its getting so hot sitting still.

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
I live in FL to and it is hot as a MoFo here. I have the AFCO HE and did several WOT blasts on the expressway in Tampa. It was 90+ degrees outside at almost 100% humidity. My IAT2 read 126-129 during these blasts. No fans here either. I would say you are fine with those temps and that is normal.

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
Mine also reached 140*F (IAT2) during idle but went down after I started driving. The FL heat is a bitch!!.

imsuperman

Established Member
Originally posted by Chonger
Mine also reached 140*F (IAT2) during idle but went down after I started driving. The FL heat is a bitch!!.

Yeah it is. Does your engine coolant reach over 200F?

mm49

Established Member
Originally posted by Jerryk
150 for IAT2. Do you ahve fans on it? If not thats why its getting so hot sitting still.

No actually the tip in for ACT retard starts at 100 degrees and is in full swing by 150 degrees. At 150 degrees and 6000 rpm it is roughly 3.9 degrees. At 100 degrees and 4000 rpm & up it is approx. .8- .9 degrees. If the table is left stock it gets very aggressive above 150 degrees. There are actually 2 tables that govern the ACT retard.

Jon L

imsuperman

Established Member
Originally posted by mm49
No actually the tip in for ACT retard starts at 100 degrees and is in full swing by 150 degrees. At 150 degrees and 6000 rpm it is roughly 3.9 degrees. At 100 degrees and 4000 rpm & up it is approx. .8- .9 degrees. If the table is left stock it gets very aggressive above 150 degrees. There are actually 2 tables that govern the ACT retard.

Jon L

Anyway to modify the table?

Chonger

The Korean Connection
Established Member
Originally posted by JadeAT
Yeah it is. Does your engine coolant reach over 200F?

It does at times while in traffic. I think 204*F is when the high speed fans click on with the stock settings. You could lower the temperature when they click on if you have a predator. I still have mine on the stock settings. The coolant should not get much higher than that.

As far as the computer pulling timing when temperatures get too hot I think that is a good thing. Me personally, I would not mess with that. It is a safety measure to prevent damage to your motor in the event things get too hot. I don't think it is worth risking possible damage for a few extra ponies. With your aftermarket HE this should not be an issue. As long as you are moving the IAT2 should not get much higher that 130*F if it is working properly. Mine stayed right around there after several back to back WOT runs on the expressway in 90 degree + heat.

mm49

Established Member
Originally posted by JadeAT
Anyway to modify the table?

Absolutely ! You can raise the ACT temp activation, shut it off, change the rate of effect -vs- RPM / Load, etc. SCT Racer Pro advantage software works well. I am sure Revolution Software has access to this also but not sure. Also keep in mind there is an ECT retard table that has the same effect the ACT retard, it does not pull timing till ECT goes over 200 degrees. On a street tune I think these tables should be left untouched to protect the motor. They can be somewaht over come using the global spark adder, which will add timing after EEC determeines the appropiate timing for the given condition. Say Final spark at 5700 is calculated to be 18.7 then the global adder may have 2 degrees accross the board. On a cooler day though the ECT and ACT may be low enough to not pull any timing and it may get the full commanded timing + the global adder. Its best to datalog some Timing numbers for a given condition just to know where the car stands and then go from there.

Jon L

Rick@Amazon

SVT God
Established Member
Jon's right on the money. On some race tunes I just turn off the act2. This will give you full advance but you must be extremely carefull. Remember this is a safety feature to protect from detonation. It can be just modified as Jon said but if you do this make sure you have excellent or even 98-100 octane. I do alot of race programs where I'll raise it to 175-200 degs f. But also remember the Eatons make alot of heat compared to the other blowers.

Datalogging and monitoring parameters is a must when making any changes like this to keep it safe.

Rick

Users who are viewing this thread