what could cause this?

Darufe

Established Member
So im trying to set up some basic ignition afr and idle settings on my infinity 8.

After realising the darn thing auto compensates so well i set my ve table at idle confirmed it was good.
unplugged the throtle body to avoid variations in airflow.
and disabled lambda feedback.

Started up the car and it idled roughly at 1200 rpm
still low vacuum but its idling pretty evenly/nicely
tried playing with ignition timing to see if i can get it to pull a bit more vacuum.

Then i noticed my AFR
lambda 1 was at 1.00 (meaning my ve setting where pretty much spot on)
but lambda 2 was hovering near 1.2 lambda

Coil packs are all new so are spark plugs.
getting 12v and proper ground triggers at the coil packs

Im assuming either my lambdas might be off (maybe one more gunked up then the other after running with some dead coils)
improperly wired somehow?!
Cant be a dud as the afrs vary properly

Injector problems?

Uhhhh

Almost forgot after turning the engine off one lambda was reading 1.9 and the other was hovering around 1.5

After the engine cooled off i chwckes the lambda signals again and both where at 1.9 again.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member

Darufe

Established Member
although the interface changes the basics of air and fuel still remain constant even compared to old carburated engine.
im gonna try to aem forums and tech support when theyre open but i was mostly looking for ideas of what could cause one bank to have a different AFR

good thiking on aed though thanks!

if i had a tailpipe sniffer i could just take a reading right at the downpipes to confirm what the aem sees and rule out the widebands instantly
leaving me with..as far as i can figure a clogged injector or one not getting proper signal/voltage

other wise i really dont see how one bank could have a different afr from the other :/ (vacuum leaks have already been eliminated so have spart issues...unless i have a dead brand new spart plug somewhere but then again wouldnt that create a rich environment?!)

CPRsm

Switch the O2's side to side and check the readings again. If they read the same check for an intake leak or exh leak. If the 1.2 lean reading moves to the other side, bad O2.
Don't worry about the reading when off. 1.9-2.0 lambda is clean air. That will happen eventually after shutting it down

Darufe

Established Member
Switch the O2's side to side and check the readings again. If they read the same check for an intake leak or exh leak. If the 1.2 lean reading moves to the other side, bad O2.
Don't worry about the reading when off. 1.9-2.0 lambda is clean air. That will happen eventually after shutting it down

i figured 1.9 would be clean air. im more worried about one sticking at 1.5 with the engine off (the one that was runninglean at 1.2)

ill try switching them around tomorrow...maybe i should let em sit in fresh clean gas for a bit to clean off any gunk from prelube/running rich?

Darufe

Established Member
O2s switched same reading of 1.2 vs 1.0
so the widebands are good im just running richer on one head then the other.

Also figured out my timing is wayyyyyyyyy off.
managed to go from 7" vacuum to 17" just advancing the timing gradualy up to 22 btdc @idle
sounds like alot the stock ignition map id roughly 10 btdc
gonna go look at my base ignition sync settings *sigh*

Least im going towards the right direction

Users who are viewing this thread