What Compression with Boost?

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
What compression is everybody running with boosted cars. How much boost on pump gas and how much power? I was tthinkinb about a 10:1 set-up to help get some more low-end power but don't know if that's too much for 93 octane with moderate boost. I know all set-ups are different but I'm just trying to get an idea if anybody is running upper 9's-10:1 with boost on the street.
Thanks.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
It all depends on the type of s/c. With lower compression you can get away with more boost safely on 91/93 pump gas. Most people with Centri cars will run about 9.7-.8 and guys with TT or screw type blowers will run 8.6- 9.1.

Toasty

Established Member
Read 98 Saleens post again.

A centri blower works best with close-to-factory compression ratio. Flatop pistons in a rebuild will get you close to 10:1 compression.

Turbo and PD blowers like lower compression, 8.5:1 to 9:1 are common ratios in these applications.

Asking 'what everyone tends to run' is a misguided question. There are people like me with a KB, centri, or turbo on a stock shortblock (so 9.8:1 or so compression), and there are people with built shortblocks running the appropriate boost for their SC application.

You dont pick the compression ratio and then pick the blower/turbo afterwards. You design the engine parameters around your forced induction choice.

FYI, 03-04 Cobras have 8.5:1 compression to make the most out of their factory Eaton setups.

fourvalvegt

Established Member
It all depends on the car, blower, fuel, and what its used for. If you think about it if you bolt a kennebell on your running almost 10 to 1 where most people with a twin screw want around 8.5. Centri cars can get away with higher cr because of when the boost comes on.
I was running 9.85 to 1 with a procharger and that was a factory longblock, it was a blast to drive and never detonated or pinged

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
It all depends on the car, blower, fuel, and what its used for. If you think about it if you bolt a kennebell on your running almost 10 to 1 where most people with a twin screw want around 8.5. Centri cars can get away with higher cr because of when the boost comes on.
I was running 9.85 to 1 with a procharger and that was a factory longblock, it was a blast to drive and never detonated or pinged
Thanks, this is helpful.

I'm just trying to see what everybody is getting away with and how the low-end torque is due to the lack low RPM torque with the B heads.

Turbo98

FR500TT
Established Member
Read 98 Saleens post again.

A centri blower works best with close-to-factory compression ratio. Flatop pistons in a rebuild will get you close to 10:1 compression.

Turbo and PD blowers like lower compression, 8.5:1 to 9:1 are common ratios in these applications.

Asking 'what everyone tends to run' is a misguided question. There are people like me with a KB, centri, or turbo on a stock shortblock (so 9.8:1 or so compression), and there are people with built shortblocks running the appropriate boost for their SC application.

You dont pick the compression ratio and then pick the blower/turbo afterwards. You design the engine parameters around your forced induction choice.

FYI, 03-04 Cobras have 8.5:1 compression to make the most out of their factory Eaton setups.
I read his post.

I'm not trying to determine compression on what everybody else is running or trying to pick a number off of a Kenne Bell car when I have a turbo set-up. I currently have a turbo set-up and am trying to maximize the efficenecy/throttle respnse/turbo spool with these heads. The turbo's respond similar to the centri's. No blast of low-end torque. I've been around for a bit and I'm more interestted in how the B heads respond to higher compression to help overcome some of the low-end lack of power. I know what compression the turbo Terminators run on their turbo and PD blower set-ups. There are a lot of centri guys in here with the same heads as I have and they respond somewhat similar to turbos (not exactly though). So, that's why I posted the question and that's why I posted it in here and not somewhere else.

Toasty

Established Member
I read his post.

I'm not trying to determine compression on what everybody else is running or trying to pick a number off of a Kenne Bell car when I have a turbo set-up. I currently have a turbo set-up and am trying to maximize the efficenecy/throttle respnse/turbo spool with these heads. The turbo's respond similar to the centri's. No blast of low-end torque. I've been around for a bit and I'm more interestted in how the B heads respond to higher compression to help overcome some of the low-end lack of power. I know what compression the turbo Terminators run on their turbo and PD blower set-ups. There are a lot of centri guys in here with the same heads as I have and they respond somewhat similar to turbos (not exactly though). So, that's why I posted the question and that's why I posted it in here and not somewhere else.

"It all depends on the type of s/c. With lower compression you can get away with more boost safely on 91/93 pump gas. Most people with Centri cars will run about 9.7-.8 and guys with TT or screw type blowers will run 8.6- 9.1."

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Ok well I'm running 9.1 CR with my T-trim. The only reason that I am is because I bought the motor here on SVTP. It was originally made for a TT Cobra.. If I would have built my own block I would have gone with a 9.8CR..

Users who are viewing this thread