What coil packs do you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnkBitPny

Established Member
I've looked through lots of threads but haven't found much on the subject of coil packs.

I've got a 98 cobra, and I've been thinking that my coil packs could stand to be replaced since I've installed new plugs and a set of Ford Racing plug wires.

I've seen the MSD, the Accel, and the Screamin Demon coil packs on 5.0 resto, but I'm not sure if these supposed "high performance, high spark" coil packs are worth spending money on or if I should just buy stock replacements.

What would you suggest?

uofipilot

Established Member
I think most on here will say go with stock. Many have had problems with aftermarket packs. I decided to leave my originals in when I did plugs and wires a month or so ago. If it ain't broke (and there isn;t a clearly superior product), then don't fix it.

xhailofgunfirex

Established Member
Been driving around with the new Weapon X coil packs, had no problems with em yet, seem to be great, the colors on them are cool to, all black, black epoxy.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
I had never heard any bad things about Screamin Demon coils so I gave them a shot and they've been awesome for coming up on a year now. My OEM ones were 150,000 miles old so it wasn't a very fair comparison but I definitely felt a difference in throttle response when the Screamin Demons went in.

Helomech74

Established Member
Weapon X coil packs hands down. On boosted applications, or high HP applications they show very nice gains on the dyno. Mine took care of my spark blow out at high rpm, and gave a nice gain. On a bolt on car, or stock, there won't be any gain at all more then likely, but the build quality is very nice. They are pretty cheap too in comparison to buying new OEM coils.

Evan5469

Established Member
When I had my 98 a couple of years ago I asked the same question and the consensus was that stock is all you really need. And a few people chimed in saying that they tried Accel ones and had nothing but problems. If you need a set of stock ones I have some that have a little under 30K miles on them. PM me if you're interested.

LILBLKSNAKE

Village Idiot
Established Member
I bought MSD's and haven't had any trouble with them at all.
What makes you think you need coil packs?? I know a few people that got 100,000+ miles on stock packs. I wouldn't have wasted the money on them if I knew the stock ones were more than adequate.

tommygun

Established Member
800hp with stock here

no spark issues yet.

If they fail ill be putting more stock ones on or converting over to coil on plug

caliboy08

Established Member
+1 for stockers.. i never had any problems with them and i had 130k on them... bought a new set and they have been great! if you are boosted, maybe give one of the aftermarket coils a try. its you $$$ after all...

RomeoR

Established Member
I have MSD, how can I test them to find out if they are worth keepin around or should I just put back the stock ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread