What clutch is everyone using above 450rwhp

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
I’ll be replacing my clutch soon and wanted to get your thoughts on what’s worked for you guys. My car came with a Spec 2 but I never really got a chance to test it out before disassembling the car for restoration so I don’t know how well it was for daily driving (found the clutch was bad so I trashed it)? I just know it was stiff as hell and I didn’t care for the feel. My last few cars where all LS1 f-body which have hydraulic clutches and pedal pressure is very light compared to the cable in our cars, so I’ve been spoiled

So what clutches are you guys using above 400rwhp and can anyone give me some options I might have to reduce the stiffness with my clutch? I’m considering the Centerforce since the pedal pressure I’m told is fairly light?

Thanks,

TEAL VNM

Established Member
In my 93 I have a spec stage 2+ and it works great. Not too stiff. I have a centerforce in my terminator an it is mush. Both cars have steeda quadrants and firewall ajusters. I will be replacing the centerforce with a spec soon.

buddha93

Established Member
I've had just about every clutch out there (cable operated)and the Centerforce is the last one I'd every buy. I know a lot of guys swear by them, but I'm not too impressed with there stuff for higher HP cars.

I've gota Spec 3 in my Red car now and it's take the abuse very well. for the money, I think they're pretty good clutches. The Kenne Bell car has a Spec 2 in it and it works well, and holds the 430 rwtq.

RAM is another company I'd call. Really good stuff there.

Whatever clutch you end up using, make sure you get MM's quadrant cable kit. This hands down is the best one out there and will take car of the spongy cable issues. Everything else out there is junk, especially the cable.

Clutch Cable, Quadrant, and Firewall Adjuster Package [MMCP-51] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
Could you guys elaborate on what you didn’t like about the Centerforce clutch? Was the pedal to soft, didn’t hold enough power or wore to fast?

Last edited:

buddha93

Established Member
Could you guys elaborate on what you didn’t like about the Centerforce clutch? Was the pedal to soft, didn’t enough hold power or wear to fast?

In my case, it just simply didn't hold enough power. It held for a while, and then I burned right through it.

The case I've heard against the CF is that their whole system is designed around the weights which in theory provide the addtional clamping force when they are slung to the outside. However, the weights are insignificant and don't work as well as CF claims.

Hands down the best clutch I've owned was a RAM sintered iron setup. I abused the crap out of that thing and it just asked for more........1.44 60' and 6k rpm drops on slicks at the track all day long.

rw93cobra

Established Member
I had/have a spec 3+ in my 93 supercharged lx with around 600 rwhp. I pulled the supercharger off and i'm building another engine for a 80mm turbo and plan to use it with that too. When my 03 cobra clutch needs replaced, I plan to go to a spec clutch also.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
I have never owned a spec but have heard really good things about them. I have had a CF, Zoom, and McLeod. Hands down the best one is the McLeod. It engages smooth, the pedal pressure is not too much and it holds very well. The CF had a very difficult pedal, chattered, and was like an off-on switch with engagement.

1slohawk

Established Member
I have tried several clutches over the past few years. First was the Center force dual friction this clutch it drove great, but just wouldn't hold the power. The next was an anderson ford stage one clutch that clutch was terrible it was way to stiff and made it not enjoyable to drive i had it in the car for about 1000 miles before it came out. The most recent clutch was a promotion kustom clutch. That one drove like stock, but it didn't like hard launch's at the track. driving on the street and dyno pulls it held great, if I took it to the track and dumped the clutch it wouldn't hold. The trans is out of the car now and I will be trying either a Mcleod twin disc or a spec stage 3 next.

buddha93

Established Member
The most recent clutch was a promotion kustom clutch. That one drove like stock, but it didn't like hard launch's at the track. driving on the street and dyno pulls it held great, if I took it to the track and dumped the clutch it wouldn't hold.

No chit? I would have thought a transmission shop like that would have a decent clutch. Good to know.

1slohawk

Established Member
No chit? I would have thought a transmission shop like that would have a decent clutch. Good to know.

I'm sure they make a clutch that will hold on my car and I would buy from them again. I will also say promotion had one of the best customers service I have ever dealt with.

Teal93

I had a zoom in mine with the blower and worked great. I put the turbo in it and smoked the zoom in it right away. I put the spec 3 in it and holds everybit of 580ftlb of tq and every bit of 525 ponys to the ground. I had to get used to the spec when I first put it in. Theres no slip in it.

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
Thank for the advice guys it looks like I’m going to try the spec 2+ out, we’ll see if I like it.

pur pony

Established Member
late to the party.. but i have a new Mcloed twin disc RXT clutch... it is insane! The pedal is so soft, everyone thinks i forgot to hook the clutch cable up... lol.
I can push my clutch pedal in with my pinky. This is by far the best clutch i have had. Its their new design which works with a stock or any aftermarket flywheel. Ill never own another clutch.

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
Actually you’re not too late since I haven’t purchased my clutch yet so thanks for weighing in. I looked at the McLeod RST version but was afraid that would be too much clutch for me. I was told to stay away from a clutch that was too grippy, it could grenade my stock tranny and rearend?? Plus I was leery about the engagement and streetability so it’s good to hear you’re happy. How long have you had it and is it holding up well, any noise or chatter out of it?

PS: I just read a few reviews on this clutch and its well like and everyone pretty much has the same comments as you...i might have to give it a try, thanks.

Last edited:

clean93

Established Member
my 93 GT is using a centerforce dual friction and spec aluminum flywheel.im running about 443 rear wheel horsepower through a WC T5 trans. had it for nearly 2 years without any issues at all. my OEM clutch was stiffer than this one. i drive my car on the street a lot and in traffic at times without any issues at all. i also would recommend a spec stage 2

1slohawk

Established Member
I just put a centerforce DFX in my car a few weeks ago so I can't how long it will hold up yet, but as for drivability it seemed to be like an on/off switch at first after the 100 mile break in though the clutch feels great. I only had it at the track once so far and due to another problem I couldn't launch the car at high rpm's so I'm not sure how it will hold yet.

delvin.a

Established Member
I have a zoom twindisc in mine and love it! 570rwhp daily drivin in traffic, couple hot lap sessions and not neary a problem. Plus pedal pressure is close to a king cobra FMS unit.

I think I would try that Mcloed Twin disc sonce you can use any flywheel.

bossman302

Banned
I run the Ford Racing King Cobra, they work good and hold good power. I curently have a 408 with a T56, and it works Great, held good with Slicks. But better hurry, Ford has discontinued them and they are getting hard to find. D & D performance still has some on the shelf. Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread