What clutch 11 GT500 Daily

GT500_012308

Established Member
Premium Member
I will be adding a bunch of stuff blower ect soon. Will be slapping on longtubes and my car is at 48k now stock clutch. Will be around 700whp and I will DD it probably wont track it just some fun to and from work.

Was figuring if Im installing everything and all that stuff is already out might as well just do the clutch to would have to do all that and have the clutch turd out a week or so later and pay to have all the stuff taken out again.

Thanks in advance as always

1st usa car

Established Member
I think it is going to depend on your driving style -- I don't drag race or dump the clutch from a dead stop on the street... I also, like to slip my clutch with regular driving --I think the on/off engagement of aftermarket clutches will drive me crazy. I gather my best option is going to be an OEM 2013/14 clutch.
Currently holding up fine w/ OEM clutch @ 34,000 miles and power mods.

ram150

USMC veteran
Established Member
I would say with what your planning mod wise, I would just go straight to a McLeod RXT clutch or as mentioned above you could go with the OEM 13-14 clutch.

merkyworks

Established Member
Replaced factory at 25k miles and since put 10k miles on the RTX. The first couple thousand miles on the RXT took some getting used to but now it drives normal to me.

GT500_012308

Established Member
Premium Member
Hmmmm decisions decisions. So does everyone think since I am at 48k miles and now going to be adding blower ect that it’s going to need to be changed?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

RBB

Established Member
Hmmmm decisions decisions. So does everyone think since I am at 48k miles and now going to be adding blower ect that it’s going to need to be changed?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
You’ll most likely need to replace your stock clutch shortly after upgrading the blower if you drive the car hard.

McLeod, Centerforce Dyad, and Spec are the most popular options. I like my Dyad....holds the power well and is the most streetable out of the 3, IMO.

merkyworks

Established Member

With stock blower and clutch we were seeing indications of slippage on the dyno, so I went ahead and upgraded to the RXT before I did the Gen 2R. Stock clutch may hold 650-700whp for a few hits but don't expect it to last long.

I took the easy way out and had a shop swap the clutch. Way less down time when you schedule the swap and pre-order parts. Car was only down for one day this way.

barspen

Established Member
I'm not a big fan of the RXT on a DD. Great on the track. But the RXT is a PITA in rush hour traffic (harsh engagement, noisy)...which I'm in 2-4 days per week. Quality product, but not the best choice for the street, IMHO. But I'm also pushing way less power than you have (510RWHP), so your options may be a bit more limited at 650+.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I'm not a big fan of the RXT on a DD. Great on the track. But the RXT is a PITA in rush hour traffic (harsh engagement, noisy)...which I'm in 2-4 days per week. Quality product, but not the best choice for the street, IMHO. But I'm also pushing way less power than you have (510RWHP), so your options may be a bit more limited at 650+.

Quoted for absolute truth. I get stuck on the 202W Red Mountain freeway nearly every morning... and the RXT is not meant for daily use. Been daily driving my car since this past summer.

GT500_012308

Established Member
Premium Member
really will the RST be good to hold the power though? Eventually I will be going bigger power/motor build so I was just going to go RXT now but I do drive the S**T out of my car its a "DD" I say it isn't but always end up driving it.

802gt500

Established Member
I don't have or need one yet but the dyad is the most stock feeling clutch in my research and will hold over a 1000hp. Ive had 800 hp for 17000 miles on the stock clutch and now 869 hp and stock is still holding fine. Not easy on the car but I don't slip it.

GT500_012308

Established Member
Premium Member
I think that I have finally decided with help from everyone to do the RXT since I have plans for more power and just want to knock SH*T out in 1 bang since Im paying people to install and its rape lol

fmylife

Established Member
Quoted for absolute truth. I get stuck on the 202W Red Mountain freeway nearly every morning... and the RXT is not meant for daily use. Been daily driving my car since this past summer.
Add another to that list. Went with the RXT based on recommendations from this forum and it's been noisy and chatters as much as the stock clutch on my '08 though it does hold the power very well. It's really annoying hearing it chatter and feeling the car shake at the same time...looks like I don't know how to drive stick!

Imatk

Established Member
I've read a lot of folks recommending the RXT... I hated mine, chattered noisy got rid of it for a stock clutch.

I'd never run that clutch on the street.

merkyworks

Established Member
I've read a lot of folks recommending the RXT... I hated mine, chattered noisy got rid of it for a stock clutch.

I'd never run that clutch on the street.

How long did you run it before you switched it out?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Im at that point too. I have to pull my trans in a few months, Im probably going to pull the RXT and send to McLeod and have it inspected and rebuilt. Probably for sale after that. Im very curious to see what bimini's impressions are of the XClutch he's running now.

Tight Lines

Established Member
I did not like my RXT either as I drove my car as show car/sometimes daily. I took it out after 3 months. It’s hard to get an opinion unless that person has tried multiple clutches. Listening to people who listen to others say so and so is good is not always the best answer. Hence the RXT being a mistake in my book.

ponyboy96

Established Member
Ditto the sentiments on the RXT. I’ve had one in my car for years. On the track or road course, it’s fine. Hold the power and handles the abuse. Daily driving it? No way. I do not want to daily drive it or even occasionally drive it sitting in traffic with the hills I have going to work. Fine on the weekend. I would go back to stock if it wasn’t such a pita to pull these trannies. Next time, I’m going to pay someone to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread