What car to buy next: 2015 GT Track Pack or 2010 gt500 with 4k miles

b_turbo454

Established Member
Just putting it out there as I'm having an issue deciding on a new car

As far as the cars I'm looking at, They would not be a daily driver. They would be replacing my 99 cobra. It currently is my autocross/track day car that sees the occasional cruise/road trip. Future plans for either car would be a supercharger for the '15 or a supercharger upgrade for the gt500. As well as the supporting mods, suspension mods, exhaust mods. Race tires are the same price.

The cars in question are a new ordered/off the lot 2015 GT with track pack and recaro's(color to be determined). Or a 2010 Kona blue gt500 with 4000 miles that my father is parting ways with. Prices in question are the same. The gt500 was purchased new by him and would come with the remainder of the ford ESP warranty for 2 more years or 44000 miles(he thought he'd drive it more), It does have a few bolt on suspension mods as well as the usual CAI and catback, otherwise its stock.

I really do not feel like waiting for the 2016 gt350 to come out and figure the upgrades would rival the possible 50k starting price of the gt350, But I will not pay the dealer upcharge for said vehicle and I can slowly upgrade either car and not fork out an additional 10k up front.(same goes with a 2013/2014 for pricing)

Just looking for some honest opinions either way and seeing if there is something I missed or something I might have forgotten about.

Thanks

VegasMichael

Established Member
I'd go with the GT500. Only 4k on the clock, it has some mods and you are already more than familiar with this particular car as well.

west08

Established Member
Being an auto-x/ track day car, I would probably go with the 2015. From what I've read mostly on here is that it is going to be a great handling car. Even read that it was going to be equivalent to the Boss. If that is the case, with suspension mods you will be so far ahead of the GT500 in the handling department and will have a better front/ rear weight ratio

5.8 Venom

Established Member
I would go with the GT500. You can drive it and mod it for a few years and see what shakes out with the GT350. You will enjoy the GT500 and have the benefit of knowing how it was treated. Plus it won't depreciate ridiculously and then you can look at a GT350 when the price stabilizes or they come on the used market.

Last edited:

kaz109

Established Member
15 without thinking twice. If its not a 13/14 GT500 its not worth it IMO

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Being an auto-x/ track day car, I would probably go with the 2015. From what I've read mostly on here is that it is going to be a great handling car. Even read that it was going to be equivalent to the Boss. If that is the case, with suspension mods you will be so far ahead of the GT500 in the handling department and will have a better front/ rear weight ratio
+1
If you are a track guy you would know you do not need a blower to go faster.
With that said, '15 GT. Yes, the 2015 is heavier than the s197 5.0's but the '10 GT500 the op posted is the iron block version, being one of the heaviest GT500s (39xxlbs). Its going to be hard to lose that front weight and consider what you do to the GT500 you can also do to the '15 (k-member).

IRS, same roadrunner internals for a blower later on, better braking with track pack 6-piston front brakes. 2015 Mustang GT for sure.

west08

Established Member
People are also pointing out that you would know how the GT500 was treated, but he would obviously know how the 2015 would be treated since he would be the original owner, so IMO that point is moot.

skwerl

Banned
I think most of the people here recommending the GT500 either didn't fully read the first post or else they haven't had much experience trying to drive a GT500 fast around corners. The GT500 is a beast but it is not a corner carver by any stretch of the imagination. All that extra weight up front makes it a very heavy steering vehicle. You can use many words to describe it but 'nimble' is not one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread