What can I use for cleaning MAF?

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
Well some may remember my morning bog problem with my car. The suggested fix last time was the fuel filter and that did not work. Still have not figured out what it could be. I have new plugs, cleaned air filter, new fuel filter and still getting this horrible bogging down in the mornings with my car. Only at low rpm's and sometimes she feels like she isnt coming out of it. The whole car starts jerking and I have to push the clutch in to get out of it.

So now I am just going down the line with any other easy stuff I could possibly try before swapping my pulley and taking it in. I would like to try and clean the MAF but I have heard you can only use an electronic parts cleaner. What could I use and where can I get it? Any info would be great.

JR

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
I just use brake cleaner or carb cleaner depending on what I have on hand which is usually brake cleaner.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Last edited:

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
What are symptoms of clogged cats? I have the Bassani cats and I have heard of them crapping out.

It seem to be getting worse. After work today I thought I was going to have to pull over. And even once it gets warmed up it still felt like the engine wanted to jerk around a bit.

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
I will try a little alcohol and see what happens. I have a feeling the MAF is not the problem.

Oh damn the search is working now!

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Johnny Random
I will try a little alcohol and see what happens. I have a feeling the MAF is not the problem.

Oh damn the search is working now!

I would "not" use alcohol. The wires are very fragile and you will break them. That is why we use an aerosol brake cleaner it cleans the elements and leaves no residue.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Johnny Random
What are symptoms of clogged cats? I have the Bassani cats and I have heard of them crapping out.

It seem to be getting worse. After work today I thought I was going to have to pull over. And even once it gets warmed up it still felt like the engine wanted to jerk around a bit.

One way is go for a spirited drive at night time and stop and check to see if they are glowing. If they are chances are something is wrong. The other way is a visual inspection.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
One way is go for a spirited drive at night time and stop and check to see if they are glowing. If they are chances are something is wrong. The other way is a visual inspection.

Exactly right.

The glowing cats at night are a dead giveaway.

1time

Established Member
there is throttle body cleaner out the with less harsh chemicals than brake cleaner i would not use that on senitive electronics

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Originally posted by toofast4u
I just use brake cleaner or carb cleaner depending on what I have on hand which is usually brake cleaner.

Just read the can make sure it doesnt say it has Patroleum Distillates. Otherwise it would be like getting oil from over oiled air cleaner.

I use brake cleaner at work allot On lasers other machines on parts. Some have it some dont.

As far as Alcohol you would have to spray it. and never use the low grade stuff there is a high grade but u have to look for it. 90% pure I use that on Laser lenses. At $1,500+ a lense you have to be careful what you use.

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
well that definitely fixed it. it was either the IAC or the MAF wire. Both looked kinda cruddy. Runs much better. I really think it was the IAC cause it always happened at low rpm's when I was barely giving it gas.

Users who are viewing this thread