What can be done about blow-by?

ogc

Established Member
Well, I had my engine rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago... And now Im getting blow by. Short of taking everything apart and installing new rings what can be done?

Im assuming Im having this problem because the rings didnt seat properly.

Whats happenning is oil is getting sucked up through my PCV system on the passenger side.

I can only assume this problem is going to get worse and worse as time goes on.

ogc

Established Member
quadcammer said:
some thicker oil

I already went from 5W30 Mobil 1 to 10W30 Mobil 1, would going to conventional oil make a difference?

I also think the reason this happened is the idiot who rebuilt the motor despite me telling him not to put synthetic in it.

NXGHOST

Established Member
Rob, there is no way to reseal rings if they didnt seat. They will just glaze more and more. The only way is to re-ring it and possibly ball hone the block slightly.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
doubt it. if the rings didn't seat, the oil consumption would have been bad from the start.

try some Castrol Syntec 0w-30. It says made in germany on the back and is a bit thicker.

duane v

Established Member
Believe it or not a can of Restore will work pretty damn good...But once you use it, you have to use it on every oil change from here on out...DA snake boy!!!

ogc

Established Member
Ive heard that restor stuff can screw things up some more... Is there any truth to this? I need the car to run ok for about 30'000 more miles before Ill be able to afford to fix it.

ogc

Established Member
Also is there anything else that could be causing excess crankcase pressure that would cause oil to come out the PCV system?

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
Oil separator is the easiest way to deal with it without tearing it down. If you just install a breather, the oil will saturate the element and you'll have a mess on your hands.

DJ98Cobra

Established Member
I have the seperator from steeda. Works great but cost about 50 bucks. It's easy to dump and I would say in the long run it was worth the money.

ogc

Established Member
I would do that but most of the oil is coming from the passenger side. It is coming up through the pass. side tube in the valve cover, into the intake, sucked through the IAC tubing and is dripping out of that black box thing right before the 180* bend into the IAC valve.

Users who are viewing this thread