What cam tune chops the hardest questions etc.

t01lightning

Established Member
Looking for more info on the different ghost or cam tunes out there. Is there a certain point where its hard on the motor for them to cut up more? Are the cam tunes bad for the motors cost benefit wise and what tune will really lope hard or can any tuner basically get the same sound? I am lost on the limits of the adj. cam timing and hopefully some shops will step in also. The more information the better. Goals for the car are to have an untouched long block, 3600ish stall full bolt on stock gear car and try to crack 10.99 with suspension work slicks etc. I always prefer an h pipe over an x and really want the car to sound mean with the stock cams as some of the exhaust combos I have heard in person sound horrible and like an old truck with glasspacks. Any info is appreciated.

DRIVINGLESSON

Established Member
I have the Lund cammed tune through Lethal, and I like the performance aspects of the tune. The car feels a lot stronger with the tune. The idle is a novelty thing. The cammed idle doesn't sound good to me on my car, but I think that is because I maintained the cats. I have Heartthrobs 3" cat-to-axle kit, and Flowmaster 40's. I have heard several videos that sounded awesome, but they all used off-road X or H pipes. The idle speed is higher than stock at about 1,000 RPM's, and that is the big reason I don't really care for the tune. Shutting the car off at that RPM just bothers me. Also, there is a strong unburned fuel smell, and I am sure it will shorten the life of your cats if retained.

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
This whole cammed tune thing embarrasses me. I basically lump it in with the Civics that have that fake BOV so they sound like they're FI under the hood. My GM buddies razz me all the time about this.

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
Looking for more info on the different ghost or cam tunes out there. Is there a certain point where its hard on the motor for them to cut up more? Are the cam tunes bad for the motors cost benefit wise and what tune will really lope hard or can any tuner basically get the same sound? I am lost on the limits of the adj. cam timing and hopefully some shops will step in also. The more information the better. Goals for the car are to have an untouched long block, 3600ish stall full bolt on stock gear car and try to crack 10.99 with suspension work slicks etc. I always prefer an h pipe over an x and really want the car to sound mean with the stock cams as some of the exhaust combos I have heard in person sound horrible and like an old truck with glasspacks. Any info is appreciated.

I don't know if that is possible.

wbt

Banned
Goals for the car are to have an untouched long block, 3600ish stall full bolt on stock gear car and try to crack 10.99 with suspension work slicks etc.

I am with George, I don't think that is possible. It would have been done by now if it was.

SicShelby09

Banned
This whole cammed tune thing embarrasses me. I basically lump it in with the Civics that have that fake BOV so they sound like they're FI under the hood. My GM buddies razz me all the time about this.

You have to remember that our cars actually have cams like this for real, and the TiVCT actually pulls it back to make the car idle smoothly. Then when it needs more mid to upper power, the TiVCT pushes the cams and makes the power. Saying its a novelty or its like a fake BOV is not the same thing. Our cars actually have lopey cams, but the TiVCT is set to NOT let them lope to make the car idle and drive nice nice.

Erick

Established Member
I have the Lund cammed tune through Lethal, and I like the performance aspects of the tune. The car feels a lot stronger with the tune. The idle is a novelty thing. The cammed idle doesn't sound good to me on my car, but I think that is because I maintained the cats. I have Heartthrobs 3" cat-to-axle kit, and Flowmaster 40's. I have heard several videos that sounded awesome, but they all used off-road X or H pipes. The idle speed is higher than stock at about 1,000 RPM's, and that is the big reason I don't really care for the tune. Shutting the car off at that RPM just bothers me. Also, there is a strong unburned fuel smell, and I am sure it will shorten the life of your cats if retained.

This is dead on! Couldn't agree more. I like the cammed tune but I don't run it all the time. It's fun for a while but it's also nice to go back to a quiet, smooth and smell-free ride. I don't regret buying it though, it's definitely turns heads!

This is the Roush axle-back only
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD6zruVfZZU"]2011 Roush Stage 2 Jon Lund/Evolution Performance Cammed Tune - YouTube[/nomedia]

t01lightning

Established Member
You have to remember that our cars actually have cams like this for real, and the TiVCT actually pulls it back to make the car idle smoothly. Then when it needs more mid to upper power, the TiVCT pushes the cams and makes the power. Saying its a novelty or its like a fake BOV is not the same thing. Our cars actually have lopey cams, but the TiVCT is set to NOT let them lope to make the car idle and drive nice nice.

Great info, yea is there a limit to how hard they will lope or does it depend more on idle rpm? I do not think cam tunes are rice, after all a muscle car should cut up if you want it to. As far as the 10.99 they have tune only auto cars that have gone 11.87 without even an intake. I am with you on it being hard to acomplish with a 6 speed but a stall should knock off alot and than you have another 40 to the wheels with full exhaust filter etc. 3500 stall with tune cars have gone 11.30's on drag radials alot of people just do not post it as some enjoy keeping it quiet. I bet there is an auto withfull bolt ons boss intake etc. with slicks skinnies that has gone 10.99 or faster with a serious suspension on it stock setup of course. If you can get 11.40's with stock suspension I would think 10's if you really get some adj lowers and a suspension guy who really knows how to set up these cars. Any video clips are welcome and all posts are appreciated.

t01lightning

Established Member
Last edited:

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
Just read this on modularfords not sure on the setup. Thought you guys may be interested as your setups are close.
Wms [email protected]

JJ definitely has it figured out.

He also gets to launch a lot harder than an Auto can and his shift points are right at the hard limiter. Us A6 guys can't get shift points that high, well what I mean is, we can't get accurate shift points that close to the limiter.

I've had high 1.5x 60' times this past Spring, so I know that the lower 11s are there. But that .3 jump from 11.30s to 10.99 is a big one...

I'm not saying that it can't be done, just that it won't be easy.

t01lightning

Established Member
Any guys going with some big comp cams yet? Heard some clips of full kooks exhaust with a cam tune and it sounds great like some of the lsx vettes.

Users who are viewing this thread