What CAI will fit?

McFly

Pants!
Established Member
Im looking for a CAI, and i heard JLT is the best. I went to their website, and foudn that the kit will not fit with my strut tower brace on. Is there another kit which would work well with it on? Will it make much a difference if i take off the brace?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

coolguy10786

Established Member
UPR powertube will fit. Its like the JLT RAI, but with smaller tubing. Its the one i have and im pleased.

trueblueeyes

Established Member
I didn't want to remove my strut tower brace, so this is the kit I chose: WMS Velocity Tube . It is pricey, but it does include a mass air meter so that helps explain the cost somewhat. It also looks really good installed.

coolguy10786

Established Member
badass98svt said:
coolguy, got any pics?
No recent ones, but the only thing thats changed is i've cleaned up and added headers, but you can't see those anyways.
JzMustang004.jpg

coolguy10786

Established Member
No their msd super conductors. Kind of wish i would've gone livewire or frpp just b/c there longer than stock so they look a little messy.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
frpp's are longer than stock too. are those 9mm's? if so, what wire seperators did you use?

coolguy10786

Established Member
badass98svt said:
frpp's are longer than stock too. are those 9mm's? if so, what wire seperators did you use?
Umm 8.5 so i just reused stock, but there falling apart so i prob gonna get new ones soon.

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
the strut bar is effective, but not unless you take turns at 50mph everyday. IMO just jo with jlt without the strutbar

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
trueblueeyes said:
I didn't want to remove my strut tower brace, so this is the kit I chose: WMS Velocity Tube . It is pricey, but it does include a mass air meter so that helps explain the cost somewhat. It also looks really good installed.

ditto, they are good.

I have a friend that altered the strut tower brace to allow the JLT to work. I was doubtful at first, but am convinced that he has a good thing.

Last edited:

SVTRob

www.Stangology.com
Established Member
Midnight_Cobra said:
the strut bar is effective, but not unless you take turns at 50mph everyday. IMO just jo with jlt without the strutbar

I don't see why we should have to take off a damn good factory mod Ford put on the cars of these years. I e-mailed JLT a while back, he would sell many more if he would design them with the STB. Most people do take 50mph turns, or at least I know I do on the highway almost every day. It's something that all of our cars came with, why he wouldn't have thought about it like most other manufactures baffles me, he is a damn good manufacturer.

white98snake

Established Member
96-97 had weak almost non existant strut tower and firewall braceing to help protect against body flex, the stb is def a good thing to keep, on the 98s they braced everythign accordingly so they could delete the stb

Shambles

Fetch the COMFY CHAIR!
Established Member
Or you could just get some SFC's and not worry too much about chassis flex...

Or if you REALLY wanna get cunning, design your OWN STB and sell it to everyone. Make it better than what is out there right now. Then profit :).

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
coolguy10786 said:
nope its 4inch vs 3.5. Not much, but it barely fits with 3.5

i like the look of the powertube over my RAI. any other place to buy other than UPR's website. Damn thing is 170 bucks plus shipping....

jlauth

Established Member
I have a C&L if you want to buy it, but it is drilled fro nitrous. I will sell the whole thing fro 170.

coolguy10786

Established Member
Red98CobraStang said:
i like the look of the powertube over my RAI. any other place to buy other than UPR's website. Damn thing is 170 bucks plus shipping....
I've seen a few used ones either on corral or here, but upr is the only place i believe. All the other ones that would've fit under the brace would've been more money so i didn't mind the price.

Users who are viewing this thread