What CAI for 2012 Stang

Bluegoat06

Cam Only LS2 Powered
Established Member
Brought the car home last week, and i'm not familiar with the newer 5.0 stang CAI setups, not looking to pay for the most expensive CAI out there for the Coyote engine, just wondering what works, for the best price in this platform.
Thanks a lot.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I would not waste money on a new one, if you are really set on getting one, then keep your eyes peeled for a used AirRaid setup... You can also get just the AirRaid tube from the factory box to the TB, retaining the factory box. AirRaid now sells the tube separately. The factory setup is not that bad. My buddy and I both have 2014 track packs, same basic mods x-pipe, GT500 AB, res delete, and 47lb inj/ E85 tunes from AED...with exception he has a CAI. From a roll we are door to door all the way to 5th gear where we shut down, no advantage... I never had the intention of staying NA for long, so I really did not want to waste money on parts I would not keep.

Bluegoat06

Cam Only LS2 Powered
Established Member
Thanks a lot 03snake, i'll look for the Airraid tube only, I have one of them in my Silverado.
How about the air filter, is it worth to change it to for example an AFE Dry or AEM dry filter, or just use the factory paper ones ?

Riptide

Established Member
I wouldn't spend a dime on it. Keep the stock airbox and filter. Save for mods that actually produce a tangible benefit.

Bluegoat06

Cam Only LS2 Powered
Established Member
Cool, I didn't know the factory CAI combo was that good, i'm saving the $135 for the airide tube then if I really don't need it :)

Bluegoat06

Cam Only LS2 Powered
Established Member
What is the big hose that attaches to the factory CAI tube ?
And what other mods do produce tangible benefits, besides a supercharger ?

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
What is the big hose that attaches to the factory CAI tube ?
And what other mods do produce tangible benefits, besides a supercharger ?

brings engine noise into the cabin...yes I am serious! Ford wanted to pipe some modular music into the cabin...

EDIT:

I had considered staying NA, and going all out with CJ IM, SCJ TB, Longtubes and CJ exhaust cams...You would get pretty good results, but not a lot more HP for the dollar spent. You can pick up Paxton/Vortech special from beefcake performance for $4,969 with ID1000 injectors, you would still want a BAP and need tuning, lets say all in, you are close to 6. You will pickup close to 200 RWHP.

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Cool, I didn't know the factory CAI combo was that good, i'm saving the $135 for the airide tube then if I really don't need it :)

Yep its not much of a restriction with the factory intake manifold. If you stay NA and go to CJ IM and SCJ TB, you of course gotta feed the beast with big CAI setup..

clc44

Established Member
I got my Jlt cai used for 170.ilove the looks and sound alone. Installed it with a tune and it is a different car. I know 99 percent of that was the tune. I'm sure it gained a few HP. There is a good comparison between stock, tune only, then tune with jlt. Gained everytime. Just find a used one.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
for street only driving, the stock box works well.

for the track, we love the jlt kits, they work well and on average get us .1 to .15 at the dragstrip

Users who are viewing this thread