What brings you to a gun range?

Last

Established Member
Around Austin there is only 2 indoor ranges, and about 6 outdoor ranges. The indoor ranges are pretty good, but very expensive. The outdoor ranges for the most part are very reasonably priced, but most of them have really bad facilities and their ROs aren't very professional. SO what do you look for in a shooting range? If I were to have a top 5 it would be:

#1. Facility
#2. Range officers
#3. Price
#4. Other shooters (Some ranges attract a-holes)
#5. How far away it is

What about you?

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
National Forest, pros:

1. Free

2. No people ever

3. I can hear the pissed off hikers and environmentalists every time I light a round off.

Cons:

1. Sometimes on fire

2. Bears

3. Moose

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
National Forest, pros:

1. Free

2. No people ever

3. I can hear the pissed off hikers and environmentalists every time I light a round off.

Cons:

1. Sometimes on fire

2. Bears

3. Moose

well, replace the Moose with Elk in Oregon..

and a pro is a lot longer distance to shoot than any gun range if your into that..

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
The outdoor range around these parts charges $11.00 all day and provides paper targets. It's a nice place, they even serve food, burgers, dogs and stuffs. I went a couple weeks ago, the place was packed, I swear the local militia was there.

tistan

Established Member
Luckily for me and my co-workers, our company built the local indoor gun range so we have never had to pay to shoot. It is also about 5 miles from my house. It has 11 lane and it is a super nice facility. Our outdoor range is controlled by DNR and it is $20 for a year. I usually only go to shoot rifles because it is about 30 minutes from my home.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
well, replace the Moose with Elk in Oregon..

and a pro is a lot longer distance to shoot than any gun range if your into that..

Elk aren't scary which is why I didn't mention them. We have those in the area I shoot to. I think there's mountain lion in there too.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
National Forest, pros:

1. Free

2. No people ever

Cons:

1. Sometimes on fire

2. Bears

3. Moose

Amen brother. Moose concern me much more than bears. Nice thing about my side of the state is the lack of grizzlies and wolves but we have a lot of lions instead.

Blm/state/forrest service land FTW

Last edited:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
well, i've been a line coach for a while being a GM in the Navy, so pretty much just shoot at any range, RSO's don't really need to be micro managing adults, if you need help you should ask, they usually do one on one type deals, most peopel i see shoot here at the range i go to are pretty proficient and safe, i watch neighbors on lanes and everyone seems to be on the same page.....it's a clean outdoor range, good price, and they pretty much leave you alone unless you're a safety hazard or something is going on, they announce range rules every 30 mins on mc i think, might be every 15

Machdup1

Established Member
Won't shoot at a range open to the public. I got tired of idiots sweeping me. Private clubs and training facilities FTW.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I go to an indoor range when I don't feel like driving 2 miles into the swamp to shoot outdoors. Or if the swamp we use is too flooded. Sometimes that's a problem. I can only go through about 3.5 feet of water safely.

I really hate the indoor ranges near me. So many of them have had suicides lately. Plus they are idiots everywhere. I swear I get a gun pointed at me almost ever time I go and I just get tired of disarming a person because they are an idiot.

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
What is so scary about Moose

maybe because Canada's moose force is > our air force
widget_cFLa48Cs9dikxr2f0E0sjf.jpg

or maybe its because they are man-killing alcoholics
Moose+animal+hunting+endangered+dangerous+animals+attacks+in+the+forests+beautiful+animal+picture.jpg

or maybe its just because the word moose is used to describe things like this...
Moose_edceea_219700.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread