What Brand of Spark Plug? 98 Cobra

Cobra_Kid

Established Member
I was thinking just staying with the stock brand, but do like NGK's. Some say to pay the extra $ and go with the Iridium NGK's vs Copper. I know to gap them at .052 and torque them at around 12ft. lbs.

What brand do you like?

Thanks.

Cobra_Kid

Established Member
So, bottom line is that if money wasn't an option, you would not spend money on some iridiums or platinum plugs? I want to put the best plug in the car without just wasting money.

Thanks.

Non_Sequitor

Established Member
Well, it's a matter of contention amongst a lot of folks. Up until recently, I don't think that it would have made a whole lot of difference. The platinum plugs don't really burn any better than a standard plug, but they do tend to last a little longer in a stock or mostly stock application. The iridium plugs tend to maintain a bit of heat, so I'm not too sure if they would be my first choice on a boosted or nitrous engine, but that's just me. I did try a set of those Diamond Fire plugs in my wife's stock '89 LX a few months ago (what can I say, I'm a sucker for advertising!). They did make a noticeable difference in the way that the car ran. It idled smoother, and it did pick up another 1mpg fuel mileage wise over regular Motorcraft plugs. I couldn't tell if they actually made more power, but the old butt dyno did think that the car felt a little snappier than its usual sluggish self. That being said, I haven't made up my mind over whether or not to try a set in a modified vehicle, or to even try a set of the Bosch multi-electrode plugs. The theory seems solid to my redneck reasoning, but sometimes I think I'm smarter than I am!

9804SNAKES

Established Member
So, bottom line is that if money wasn't an option, you would not spend money on some iridiums or platinum plugs? I want to put the best plug in the car without just wasting money.

Thanks.

Yeah that's pretty much the size of it. Copper Autolite 764s work great they just dont last as long. So if you don't mind turning wrenches once a year or so on your plugs go with the AutoLites. Use the search function on the Autolite 764 and you should see plenty of old posts. Many of which are mine.:p

greenscobie86

Established Member
I used Autolites as well. They sure did give the car a good kick in the ass. Their shortened lifespan wouldn't put me off from buying another set.

Users who are viewing this thread