• FRPP

Votes: 24 24.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vick

luv my cobra
Established Member
I am wondering what brand I should go with. So I am asking everyone that has them and there advise!

Last edited:

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
frpp and ford racing are the same thing. so go with ford gears. Richmonds are the worse, then motives. only get ford.

Vick

luv my cobra
Established Member
Red98CobraStang said:
frpp and ford racing are the same thing

oh crap.....i should have realized that......DUH vick!!! :bash:

Last edited:

Shambles

Fetch the COMFY CHAIR!
Established Member
Ive looked at Motive and FRPP of gears side by side. Get FRPP Gears, theyre just an overall better gear, and thats just from looking at them alone. Plus they come with your install kit that your going to need, so that you dont have to pay an extra ~$36 for it.

FRPP 4.30's for teh win.

Vick

luv my cobra
Established Member
well let me ask you all this....can i do this myself or get a shop to do it???

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
Im an ASE cert tech and I get kinda scared when I think about doin it. Have a shop do it. you need sockets, wrenches, a dial indicator, breaker bar, and a bit of know how on rear ends to do the job. you need to get in their and take out all the spider gears, corss pins, c clips on the axles and pull em out a foot or so, and disassemble the whole rear. Its about a 6 hour job for a skilled mechanic. so expect your car not to be running for a few days. then if you get it together and its not right, youll spend a few more says doing it over again.... o yeah, and you should install all new bearings while your in their too.

Shambles

Fetch the COMFY CHAIR!
Established Member
Shop. No way you should attempt to install gears UNLESS you have been trained to do it and know how to do it. Its one of those mods thats actually worth the install cost.

Edit: 6 Hour Job? Man thats shooting a bit high dont you think? I got my rear done in 3, and that was with replacing the bearings as well.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
its what alldata says at work??? Im going off book times here. I did an install on a big chevy truck in 1.5 hrs. I figured the rear in the cobra is more complex as it being a "cobra", ya know what I mean. only 3 hrs eh. Maybe Ill knock em out tomorrow at work and quit being such a Pu$$y :)

Shambles

Fetch the COMFY CHAIR!
Established Member
Nah its the same for our years as it is for the Terminators and GT's. Those 8.8" Sets are all the same. It wont take you 6 hours at all. When I was looking for a guy to do my gears, I had a guy tell me it was going to take 8 hours. I promptly cried :bs: and walked out of the shop, this, the same guy who claims that it takes 10 hours to install a clutch.

Red98CobraStang

Got Torque?
Established Member
sweet. sounds good. yeah, those shops are just trying to take your cash. 10 hrs for a clutch, shit. maybe 2 to 3 at the most, depending if the pilot bearing comes out or not :)

CobraSvt9746

Another 1 Bites The Dust
Established Member
i have done about 15 gear swaps for people in my area....mainly friends and in my opinion it doesn't really matter as far as the whine coming from the gears cause it is all in the installer where the whine comes from

but i have never done a set of richmond's before mainly just frpp and motive and maybe one or two brands i cant remember

as long as you mesh them properly there should be no whining

Last edited:

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
CobraSvt9746 said:
i have done about 15 gear swaps for people in my area....mainly friends and in my opinion it doesn't really matter as far as the whine coming from the gears cause it is all in the installer where the whine comes from

but i have never done a set of richmond's before mainly just frpp and motive and maybe one or two brands i cant remember

as long as you mesh them properly there should be no whining

How much for mine? I want to help out.

CobraSvt9746

Another 1 Bites The Dust
Established Member
well i mean it ranges from 2-3 hrs

cell is 636-212-0125

guarantee? lol....dont know i have never ran into that question before because nothing has ever happened

what i mean is basically we will check them for free if you suspect anything is wierd....

CaliSS2001

Established Member
I have Motive gears no problems, they were a great price so I got them. BTW FRPP are the best for the street/strip but richmond gears are not crap. The only reason people dont like them on the street is because they wine ALOT. Well its because they are made to flex and not break under a high load like most gears which is why they wine a lot but the are great strip gears. Figured I'd clear that up.

lone sailor

Established Member
I always have to have an acetylene torch on hand for those pesky bolts that don't want to give. Especially if they've never seen a wrench before.

Wiseguy

Established Member
Go with ford gears and don't forget about the posi unit if stock. All the sets are machined with the same pinion depths[I think]but check. I've done lots of installs and customers always forget to buy the posi rebulid kit. It will have more wear then you think. With drag racing or slick use numerous rears need this with 7,000 miles or so. Some whine is normal especially with numerically higher numbers.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
FRPP. why risk it just to save $30?
Ford gears are well recommended no matter who you ask. I just had my FRPP 4.30s, install kit and Speedcal installed 2 weeks ago. cost me $300 from a recommended shop. No whines whatsoever, and I have logged over 500 miles on them.
Also Summit sells a Terriffic 8.8 gear install kit. $68 and it includes all the bearings and what-not. ALL of the bearings are Timken, so you know it's quality.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-G7819&N=1004+115&autoview=sku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread