What brand are these headers?

Mtcrss546

Established Member
Got a set of headers for free. Brand is unknown. I’m sure they are a cheap set. Was hoping I could get some help figuring out the brand if possible. Thanks

IMG_1936.JPG
IMG_1937.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

scottydsntknow

Established Member
MAC, you can tell because its not a one piece flange. They are actually a decent header... If you got them for free that is a great deal. Get em coated and bolt em on.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Those dont look like macs. the coating is not the same and the routing of primary tubes is not the same. but it doesnt really matter. if you're on a budget and they were free, put them on and roll.

Edit-- the pic from the am website for mac headers seems to be flipped, for whatever reason. those may be macs, but the finish looks different. someone may have painted or coated them or who knows maybe it was just the camera. In either case, all the 1 5/8 longtubes flow the same. did you get a an x or h with them?

Last edited:

Mtcrss546

Established Member
Got a pro chamber. Picked up a sct x4 last week. Need to get a custom tune done and I’m wanting to put a tubular k member in when I do them. So it may be a few month before I’m able to install everything.

Been stock piling parts for a while now. In process of building a 5.4 out of a gt500. Once I get the pistons I want I’ll have the short block finished and can focus on the heads at that point.

Figured I have the exhaust so I can run all that on my car until I get the other engine done in 10years at the rate I’ve been going with it lol

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I hear that on the stock piling... but def get on installing at least some of them or you'll wind up like so many ppl and just having a huge pile of parts and then selling off for 50-75% of what you paid... although if those headers were free that doesn't mean much lol. Def do a tubular K while in there. My vote is for the UPR unless the car is a handling car that sees actual track time on the circle/autox. And even then... UPR mild steel with spring perches is like $339 before discount...

Mtcrss546

Established Member
Ya I’ve been focusing on the engine build for a while. So the stuff I have that will work on the car currently .I want to put on so I can avoid that.

I won’t be doing just one kind of racing on a regular basis this is just a second/pleasure car for me. There are a lot of twisty windy roads down here in southern Missouri/Arkansas. So I would like to get something that is good all around not saying money isn’t a issue but I don’t want to put junk stuff on it .so it will be a slower build and buy a few things then put them on when I can afford them or run across good deals

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

scottydsntknow

Established Member
UPR isn't junk, its actually really good and USA made... but its a tubular "drag style" K. That said... a Steeda or Kenny Brown or Max Motorsports K with a good setup up front is going to be about $2k vs under half that for the UPR. And suspension is definitely something to take care of... honestly first before the engine/driveline IMO. Way too many cars with loudass exahusts, "all the bolt ons" (lol) and even legit builds and then they have bone ass stock suspensions or maybe a set of lowering springs and that's it. Witness the mid-life crisis 700hp GT500s that can't even get into the 11s but the dude driving it will have a dyno sheet in your face out of nowhere without you even asking him...

Mtcrss546

Established Member
Sorry I didn’t mean upr is junk. I was just saying my goal with this build is not to be cheap and buy cheap parts that will cost me more money in the long run (cheap off brand eBay stuff). I have looked into upr and considering them still.

Before the new engine and tranny go in my car.I will have a fully built car with all the suspension and supporting mods done to it to handle the new engine and to enjoy the car to it’s full potential. I was building the engine before I had the car.I knew what I wanted just waited for the right car to come up

Picked up a 1999 cobra with 112,000 miles for $3500 a few months ago. So I have been leaning more towards buying parts I can use on the car and enjoy it. I would rather have a car with less power but can be driven to its full potential rather than just having a dyno sheet

IMG_0087.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

shurur

Established Member
Another green 1999 cobra..welcome.

I did most of my suspension and handling mods first.
I still "need" stiffer irs toe bars and AL diffy mounts, but those can wait until I finally start adding some "needed" RWHP.

but if I got free headers, I would surely install them...along with a steeda kmember..MM 4 point brace...ES motor mounts and maybe a solid steering shaft..

I have zero plans to go CO...

01yellercobra

Established Member
I had some suspension stuff done to my 01. Mostly SFC's and the IRS stuff with upgraded shocks/struts. It handled decent and with good tires I never felt like it was a scary ride. However, my 04 has all kinds of suspension goodies but makes about 200hp less than my 01 and I think I have more with it.

Of course it could be that I don't worry about my 04 breaking every time I take it out.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Woot IRS car! Fulltiltboogie kit with new cross axis joints in that thing! Makes the IRS into a benefit and a joy to drive vs a liability. Even the 99 diff and axles are good for 400-500hp on street tires. Get 03 stuff if you plan on 1/4 mile with drag radials tho.

Sent from my Z978 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread