What brake fluid should I use?

92stanglx

Established Member
Brakes are stock. I just put some new Hawk HPS pads and braided steel lines on it. Getting ready to bleed the brakes. What brake fluid should I use?

The car is mostly street driven but I may do a bit of track time so I would like something with a bit higher boiling point than stock.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

nolyaw

Been there owned that
Established Member
Ford Motorcraft heavy duty. Best value going. It has a dry boiling point of 500 degrees, Motul RBF is like 560 I think. The Ford stuff is 5 bucks a can, Motul is around 15. Its what MM recommends, and I have had good success at the track with my Stoptech kit.

nolyaw

Been there owned that
Established Member
It's just you normal average brake fluid. If you are going to do any track days, you need better stuff. These cars are heavy and the stock brakes are only so-so anyways. You will be changing it more often the less quality the fluid. Once it boils once, its over.

metaman

Established Member
The motorcraft stuff rates very high on the temperature ratings. You should go ahead and purchase about 3 pts of it and flush the entire system out starting with the wheel that is furthest from the master cylinder. I just flushed mine out and discovered that the old fluid was what was causing my brake fade on the highway. It accumulates moisture right through the lines even if the system is sealed at all times.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Put a relatively cheap DOT 3 in it for the time being - Castrol, Valvoline, etc. When you want to hit the track you have to change the fluid anyways. For the track, I use MOTUL 600 and it hasn't boiled over on me yet with the stock PBR calipers with cooling ducts.

Be careful with the Ford HD stuff. It used to be a bargain with how high it's boiling point was. They've changed the spec, pretty secretively, to a less impressive dry/wet boiling temp range.

Users who are viewing this thread