What black paint should i buy

justav6

BRING IT<DONT SING IT
Established Member
Im finally having plans to paint my 95 turbo cobra.... i heard ford paint is not all that.. so what paint should i go with? i want the slickest black paint job.. let me know, guys.

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
This is a hard question because the terms are all wrong.

True Ford doesnt have the best paint JOBS, however its not the PAINT, its the application.

I can go to English color and get a quart of Mercedes black in 3-4 different variations (PPG/Dupont and lesser quality co.)

My advise to you, go to a paint supply store and start thumbing through the paint chip book and pick out a color you like.

Lexus has some great colors 08+ so does Mercedes.

Just a heads up, Blacks, Reds, Whites are exspensive.

Satyr

Established Member

True Ford doesnt have the best paint JOBS, however its not the PAINT, its the application.

I can go to English color and get a quart of Mercedes black in 3-4 different variations (PPG/Dupont and lesser quality co.)

My advise to you, go to a paint supply store and start thumbing through the paint chip book and pick out a color you like.

I love the BMW atlantic blue metallic.
I had a pint of it mixed because I was going to spray some computer cases but never got around to it...the paint looks amazing though.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
years back we repainted our suburban black as the GM paint had a defect and wore away on the roof and hood, the best thing we did was use multiple stages of clear, made the car really sparkle and gave it more protectiona nd wiggle room for buffing out defects and imperfections that would occur down the road.

kameleongt

Established Member

blacks and whites are usually cheapest. reds are on the highest side for solid colors then you have pearls or xirilics *sp*

justav6

BRING IT<DONT SING IT
Established Member
I was recommended this PPG black which claims is the blackest of all black...

PPGBlack.jpg

Paint experts, do you agree?

Satyr

Established Member
i know that the more contemporary paints can't get "as black" as they could years ago because of the lack of carbon in the paint...but I know that PPG makes a great product.

I have used their paint and clearcoat in the past and have always had great results.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Goodluck with whatever you decide, but make sure to show us how it looks! I really like the metallic blacks fwiw.

Users who are viewing this thread