what battery has worked best for you

03SNOWBALL

Established Member
I did a search didn't find what I was looking for.Was wondering what evryone is running and what they recommend since mine is dead.I want one that won't lose charge in the winter ,I don't have any amps just aftermarket radio and I like playing my music with out having to worry it won't start.I do plan on adding an amp sometime in the future maybe a sub woofer.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
one my trucks has an Optima yellow top. the truck has electrical issues and the Optima has by far held juice the longest. its good for a million restarts.

ive always liked running sears die hard gold batteries in vehicles ive owned. i dont think they make them any more. last time i bought a sears battery they seemed like they were all pretty much equal. i just try to buy the one with the most ccas that will fit in the mounting location.

a lot of my friends swear by International batteries.

The Swede

How long is a string ?
Established Member
Optima red top.
Bought it the same week i got my truck, (7 years now) and it worked flawless !

COILDUP

Established Member
A lot of guys have reported 5-7 yrs out of the Motorcraft replacement. There is even an 875 amp one which is an upgrade over stock.

Edited by L.L.

Thanks!!

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
I bought a Ranger with a Gen I 351 in it about a year ago. I sold it but kept the OPTIMA red top battery. It sat for at least 6 months. The battery in my work truck went to poop. So I put the OPTIMA in it. I was going to charge it first, but thought what the heck I'll try it first. It fired up the 454 instantly without being charged. I was impressed.

OPTIMA FTW.:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

typhoon43

Established Member
I've killed about 5 Optimas (Red and Yellow). Switched over to a larger Stinger battery and all is well.
Batttray-in.JPG

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
I have been through a shitload of Optima's yellow and red tops over the years. It seems like the 'old' Optimas before Interstste bought them out were much better. The Reds dont last long enough in the plow trucks and seem to not like colder weather. I do sell them at my shop and interstate ALLWAYS gives you a hard time when there is an issue with them.

Last edited:

krzemienr

NOS Doesn't Make You Cool
Established Member
quick question, got a new yellow top, when i start the truck it starts, then revs down real low for a sec and goes back up... should i exchange for a new one? my old one died on me and this one has a year free replacement. I'm thinking it sat on the shelf for a while since not a lot of people buy the yellow top because of its higher price.

QUIK BRIK

1 FAST SVT
Established Member
I have the 875 amp MC. Was thinking bout going with an Odyssey battery? Same amps, less weight. They are expensive though, ~350.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread