what batteries are you guys using?

JaguarS4R

Established Member
my yellow top optima took a dump, I've had it on a trickle charger always but last week I noticed that the trickle got disconnected so it was no longer charging which was probably about a month without charging. once I connected it back up, the trickle started flashing after a couple of hours orange which meant bad battery.I thought the yellow tops were meant to be completely discharged and were able to recharge like a deep cell? so anyways if I do need a new battery, will I be fine with an AutoZone battery or should I get another optima? I have a 97 cobra with a vortech, meth, hid's and more random things, no sound system, just aftermarket radio, those are some of the parts listed that can potentially strain the battery

robb15033

Established Member
Overall not happy at all with my Red Top. I have a Champion in place of it right now, working normally.Blue Top or way high cranking amps Red would be my next consideration. The Redtop is a low level entree level style.

Last edited:

bumsoil

Established Member
I have a old les shawb battery in my car from the previous owner. My next battery will probably be a motorcraft.

WZL 96

SN95 Wrangler
Established Member
I have a Duralast Gold (Autozone) in mine and its been fine for several years now. I work at Advance Auto now and I know our Gold batteries have a 3 year free replacement warranty and like a 7 year pro rated warranty.

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
I have a old les shawb battery in my car from the previous owner. My next battery will probably be a motorcraft.

This guy! I had a motorcraft last over 10 years in my 97 f150. So when the red top that was in the car started its shit, thats what I put in the cobra too.

Helomech74

Established Member
I use Braille batteries in my cars currently. My street/strip car runs a B2317 and my drag car uses a B129. They are pricey (much cheaper then a Lithium Ion battery), but still lightweight and reliable.

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
I use an optima red top, I donno if its relevant but I had a duralast gold in my blazer and 4 wheeled the crap out of it. Listened to music all the time with my subs, it fell thru my fenders and I ran it over (I had no inner fenders) and lasted around 5 years with my beating the crap out of it and in the Arizona heat. Cheap and durable. I would buy another in a heartbeat. But the red top I got for free brand new so I'm using that and haven't had any problems in 2 years

JW03

Established Member
there are only three companies that make car batteries. East Penn, Johnson Controls, and Exide.

Johnson Controls makes Optima. Made in Mexico. Made excellent batteries... 8 years ago.

East Penn is made in America.They have an AGM battery such as an Optima, but is made with a flat plate design which allows for more lead coverage than the spiral cell Optima. It is also generally $40-$50 less expensive. they come typically with a straight 3 year replacement warranty. I have used them with absolutely no issues

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread