What are tuners doing about part throttle full boost issues on turbo cars?

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Is anything being done on these cars to rectify part throttle full boost issues on turbo cars? Or are you just not getting into boost going up hills and such?

If you are going up a hill at part throttle, and your car is making 10#s of boost and running at stoich in closed loop, the EGTs are going to go through the roof, its going to start detonating itself to death.

Can the open loop\closed loop threshold be lowered with any software on the market, specifically the SCT PRP? Are tuners just keeping the timing very low in closed loop to solve this and not changing the crossover point?

Ashley

Last edited:

Terminator

Established Member
Excellent question!
It also applies to s/c'ing. I have seen my egt @ 1,400 with ~1-2lbs boost and a/f @14.7. Frigg'n scary!

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Terminator said:
Excellent question!
It also applies to s/c'ing. I have seen my egt @ 1,400 with ~1-2lbs boost and a/f @14.7. Frigg'n scary!

Agreed. It is even a bigger hazard with a turbo!

EDIT: Ok it looks like the SCT software allows you to make the car go into open loop at whatever TP want it to. That would basically solve the problem.

Last edited:

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
Couldn't you just tune it that it hits Open loop at a certain boost pressure instead of TP signal?

smashedheadcat

Established Member
Tractorman said:
Couldn't you just tune it that it hits Open loop at a certain boost pressure instead of TP signal?

I don't think you can do that. I don't see a way to renormalize to anything other than throttle position.

Users who are viewing this thread