What are the symptoms of piston blow by?

1570 of 8394

445.5 HP and 497 TQ
Established Member
My cobra like many others consumes quite a bit of oil. I have the catch can installed and it still smokes on start up and it smokes also at wide open throttle. If I let it sit and idle for a while then take off it smokes a good amount. My engine runs very smooth and only varies in engine speed because of the computer adjusting itself. On the dyno I put down good numbers so I cant imagine it being compression loss. Anyone on here have any insight on this?

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
If it's smoking, you either have worn rings causing blowby, or worn valve guides causing oil to leak into the combustion chamber.

Or, now that I think about it, you might have a malfunctioning PCV that's causing oil to enter the intake.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Symptoms will include low compression in one or more cylinders, oil consumption and positive crankcase pressure. A quick indicator of blowby is if your dipstick pops out of place or you feel pressure from the dipstick tube when the engine is running (usually at higher rpms).

Last edited:

1570 of 8394

445.5 HP and 497 TQ
Established Member
Well I cant feel any air comming out of the dip stick tube, nor is it popping out. I do have a crank case breather on the passenger side valve cover would that make the presure go away or would it still react the same as what your saying? Thanks for the information.

Users who are viewing this thread