What are the negatives to have a large blower like the 3.4 whipple or lysholm 3.3?

04blckkbcobra

Established Member
Im just curious to what the disavantages of these blowers would be on our cobra motors. Is the 3.4 and 3.3 as good for the cobra as the smaller blowers?? They seem to be a little bit of over kill so i hear. If i was just wanting to make mid 600's maybe 700. Is the 2.8 and 2.9 better as far as low and mid range torque? Do the large blower work well at low boost level??
Thanks

JP_Stang

Established Member
I don't know much about them, but I would say they are just like any other blower. The bigger they are, the less likely you are to get that rediculous amount of instant torque like you do from the small blowers. It seems that it would take a little more to get the bigger ones going, but when they do, hold on! I am sure they will allow for a bunch more HP. I would definitley try to research which blower is best for the power range you are looking for.

Sorry I can't help more. I just don't know a whole lot about the twin screw type blowers.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Have a car with a 2.9 Whipple, didn't go bigger because:
1. Wouldn't fit under a stock hood.
2. Would have had to upgrade my heat exchanger. (needed that money for other things)
3. Car is for street use, 3.4 & 4.0 blowers are more for racing.
................After the fact, this thing is making plenty of hp. Dyno'd @ 656 hp back in April 2011, just did Kooks 1 3/4" long tubes, anxious to get back to the shop for a re-tune & a fresh dyno...............all I have to offer.
04-29-2011motorupgrades002.jpg

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Weight would be a disadvantage. Also a less instant torque hit, although that could be somewhat welcomed at higher boost levels.

JP_Stang

Established Member
^^^Yeah, I would think when your running that much boost and HP, the fact that there isn't that big initial bang of torque would make the drivability more tame.

supa snake23

Established Member
I often wonder the same thing. Would a 3.4 make the same amount of HP as the 2.9 and 2.3 if you pulley it down to 15-17 lbs of boost? Would a 3.4 make more power at 15 lbs of boost than an eaton at the same 15 lbs of boost?

Chiflikalotapus

Whippled
Established Member
^^^^^^ short answer yes. If you run a 3.4 at 15 lbs of boost it will make more power the a stock eaton at 15lbs or even a whipple 2.3 or 2.9 at 15lbs.

cbr repsol

Established Member
Plain and simple...if your running a stock motor a 3.4 is a pure waste at 15 to 17psi. I think the 2.3 would b more in its sweet spot . The 3.4 would probably not make that much tq making the smaller blower a better choise. Plus if u ran 25 psi on a 3.4 with stock motor it would shit the rods out the block. A 2.9 Is great at 18 psi and will b around 625rwhp on pump.

hweb30

02 V6
Established Member
the power curve differs, but why spend more money on a 3.4 if you'll never use it to its full potential? Id rather make a 2.3 scream the a 3.00 pulley on a 3.4.

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
the bigger blowers put way more stress on the crank snout and have been known to break them straight off or just shatter your lower pulley first. unless it's a drag car, I feel that the parasitic loss outweighs the gains up top

Users who are viewing this thread